Initial offerings, "Destinations", and "Search" all come up with blank windows. What happened?

Curei

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2916 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have been taking beautiful scenic pictures on Second Life for a national magazine article.  I've also been making friends everywere.  It's a wonderful experience.

Now, suddenly I am finding that the initial offerings listed when I get on SL, aren't there anymore.  I also find that "Destinations," under "World" is now coming up completely blank.  I also find that the "Search" button comes up blank as well.

What happened, and can Linden or anyone out there help me out?  Any effective assistance will be really appreciated.  Anyone with solutions can best reach me at:  JeanieWilliams100@Gmail.com

I look forward to hearing from someone --- anyone.

-- Curei

POST SCRIPT:  Guess what, I couldn't get the answer from Linden, nor any sort of step-by-step procedure from anyone else.  But a friend in Finland seemed to know exactly what the problem was and showed me exactly how to delete my viewer, reload another copy of the viewer and GUESS WHAT --- that solved the problem right away.  Why doesn't linden have people like that working for them?  How great that would be, yes?

9 answers to this question

Curei - 

Very happy you have been enjoying yourself and the scenery here in SL! The problem you are having MIGHT be happening if you have not updated your SL viewer. If you are not presented with an option to update you can always re-install direct from the website. I hope other folks will chime-in with suggestions, but I know that Linden just updated the viewer, that is my only clue that this might be the problem! Best of luck Curei :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

Thanks for the suggestion, Saul. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to reinstall my regular viewer (which I would like to retain) and I have no idea if that is where the problem originates. I guess my biggest problem is that I can't seem to be able to reach the Linden folks to find out what actually happened.

Well, at least Linden seems to be consistent with most of the rest of the computer industry. They seem to be terrible communicators.

You can delete Second Life viewer from your computer, then visit Secondlife.com and Install the viewer. This will ensure you have the latest version.

If you are a premium member, you can contact Linden Labs directly via voice chat. If you have not already, please submit a case https://support.secondlife.com/create-case/ as this is the best way for non-premium members to get in touch with LL direct.

Curei,

All the things you have mentioned are populated in your viewer by the program SLPlugin.exe. It makes calls via a random port to obtain the data to populate various screens in your Sl Viewer. Make sure that an overly aggressive Anti-Malware utility has not blocked that program. You can also set the SecondLife program directory as an excluded directory with most Anti-Malware & Anti-Virus software. 

EDUT:

Simpler answer: Since the Viewer worked for you before, what has changed on your PC?

It is likely that this lack of content is related to some simple change you made on your PC or by an automatic Maintenance activity by Microsoft or Apple.

Help us help you.

What is the make and model of your PC?

What us the Operating System you are using on your PC?

Which SL Viewer are you using and what version. Use HELP / About Second Life / [ Copy to Clipboard ] and paste this in your reply.

Thanks, Karen.

You have a much greater knowledge of such things that I do. Maybe, if I can get Linden to give me step-by-step instructions, I will be able to carry it out and get back the necessary information access. But, thanks anyway for your reply. It's appreciated.

We are all volunteers here in SL Answers. There is no step by step guide at this time for you to use or for us to send to you without us [sL Answers] hetting additional information. Linden Lab employees rarely frequent the SL Forums.

We can't give you step by step instructions without knowing some more information about your PC and if you noticed a Maintenance Activity that may have been performed on it.

I have a year old Acer laptop. I am using Windows-7. I'm using the original Linden viewer that I started out with. It has been just fine for me. (Except, of course, for this current problem of mine, which makes nothing just fine for me right now.)

No changes that I can think of. But, I have gone and made an exception for the SL software, in the MalwareBytes anti-Malware program, the only really aggressive protection that I have at this time.

I also see how I can delete the SL viewer and then I guess I can put it back on again, if it is somehow still there, where I deleted it. But then, do I loose my big "friends" list and my "groups" list?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, Karen.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2916 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.