If a person blocks you do you get a message that they blocked u with every time to try to meesage th

LishaJoya Haven

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 271 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

If a person blocks you do you get a message that they blocked u with every time to try to meesage them?

Ihave an ex friend who we both muted eachother-- but i need for her to get her No copy, no mod, no transfer item off my parcel....I dont want to be ENTIRELY mean and just return it but giv eher the liberty to get it herself...

If i IM her...will i get a ***YOU ARE BLOCKED*** message with EACH time i try to IM her--- or is this message a 1 time Message

despire this falling out-- i am trying to be honrable and send her items back

thanks,

Lisha

17 answers to this question

Hello everyone,

i have discovered a way to know decisively if you have been blocked or not.  Said person must be on one of your Contact Lists....before you were blocked.....if suddenly that person is not included in your contact list, it's because they have blocked You.

55 minutes ago, GiaPavlov said:

Hello everyone,

i have discovered a way to know decisively if you have been blocked or not.  Said person must be on one of your Contact Lists....before you were blocked.....if suddenly that person is not included in your contact list, it's because they have blocked You.

I blocked one of my alts. I still show up as online to her and if I have a message like the one below in "send a message to muted avatars" they get a that message every single time they IM me. If you have not checked it then no message is sent and they just think you are ignoring them. I am using Firestorm. It may act differently on other viewers.

https://gyazo.com/297fb351f69f016dcaf000d545c4701c

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian

1 hour ago, GiaPavlov said:

Hello everyone,

Chances are, they have simply removed you from their Friend list.  Not being on your contact list does not ensure they have also blocked you.  I remove people and have been removed.  I'm still able to IM them and vise versa.

• Like 2

Thank you for the correction, Wulfie.  When I said that, I was thinking of what happens when someone you have blocked tries to send you something: it's lost. But not if they are returning objects that actually belong to you.

I have found one thing that, if not absolutely definitive, at least strongly indicates that someone has blocked you. If you send them something, like a notecard, and you almost immediately get a message that the item was refused, it's probable that they have blocked you. It's the nearly instant receipt of that message that is the "tell", humans don't react that fast.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Thank you for the correction, Wulfie.  When I said that, I was thinking of what happens when someone you have blocked tries to send you something: it's lost. But not if they are returning objects that actually belong to you.

I have found one thing that, if not absolutely definitive, at least strongly indicates that someone has blocked you. If you send them something, like a notecard, and you almost immediately get a message that the item was refused, it's probable that they have blocked you. It's the nearly instant receipt of that message that is the "tell", humans don't react that fast.

I actually just tried that with an alt.  I blocked them and had them send me a notecard.  The message the alt got was "Item successfully shared" although I did not receive the notecard.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I actually just tried that with an alt.  I blocked them and had them send me a notecard.  The message the alt got was "Item successfully shared" although I did not receive the notecard.

5 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Wow. That's changed, then.

Thanks, Rowan.

Lots of people were complaining about the loopholes that would let people know they had been blocked.  I guess LL finally decided to close the loopholes.

• Like 3

The ability to block is presumably founded on an intent to empower the vulnerable individual. In the situations envisioned by its architect for such empowerment, for example, when a remedy to outright griefing and harassment is needed, a block provides a way to end an unconstructive, challenging, or abusive encounter. This was considered an acceptable counterbalance to allowing free/basic accounts on the grid in mass numbers.

I think it's regrettable because I have memories of communities reacting to change in the face of harsher social environmental conditions. It made some worlds or groups less accessible, like a pressure to be hypervigilant and defensive-minded, and others just went invisible, silo-ing off their experiences and communities and the collective opportunity their once open participation engendered. It wasn't unsuccessful for those who made it work, but it could have been a better more nurturing reality in hindsight.

I still feel as though people should be kind to one another, and not just superficially, but for deep authentically-felt existential reasons of connection and wellness. The system should encourage that or even enforce it because life is worth it, virtual or non-corporeal life is no less a form of it at all. We're always a projection into a perspective and body that is not the totality of us, and we're far more sensitive and vulnerable and fragile in many ways than just the physical. To come into being on the Second Life grid is to be born in a cloud of hope but vulnerable to the tenuousness of your existence here. Nevertheless, this place is a nexus of stories exploring their own possibilities, even possibilities to cross over into new worlds and genres. We're empowered to create and be almost anything, and so let's make only wonderful stories together. 

Edited by Brightstar7777
  • Confused 5

On 6/17/2023 at 12:22 PM, Rowan Amore said:

Chances are, they have simply removed you from their Friend list.  Not being on your contact list does not ensure they have also blocked you.  I remove people and have been removed.  I'm still able to IM them and vise versa.

to reiterate or clarify.  ... i was talking about a contact list....people who are not FRIENDS can be on your contact list.  i found when i am blocked that person disappeared from my contact lists, and i was Not able to add them.  this is not true of people who are not friends but whom i do wish to add to a certain list (such as "good djs", attendees of events, etc...).  i've tried it twice blocking with alts and it's prooved true.   when you are not on someone's friends list you can still add them to your contacts.   when you are BLOCKED, that person cannot be added to any of your contact lists.....and again, regarding IMing....if you IM them or vice versa, the block is lifted on the Senders' part, however if you have them blocked you will not receive the IM.  

Edited by GiaPavlov
addition

32 minutes ago, GiaPavlov said:

to reiterate or clarify.  ... i was talking about a contact list....people who are not FRIENDS can be on your contact list.  i found when i am blocked that person disappeared from my contact lists, and i was Not able to add them.  this is not true of people who are not friends but whom i do wish to add to a certain list (such as "good djs", attendees of events, etc...).  i've tried it twice blocking with alts and it's prooved true.   when you are not on someone's friends list you can still add them to your contacts.   when you are BLOCKED, that person cannot be added to any of your contact lists.....and again, regarding IMing....if you IM them or vice versa, the block is lifted on the Senders' part, however if you have them blocked you will not receive the IM. 

I think the term you're looking for is "Contact Sets"... in Firestorm anyway, I'm not sure if it's called other things in other viewers.

But still, I was not removed from my alt's contact set when I blocked my alt.
My alt was also able to add me to a contact set even though my alt was blocked.

Interesting question from 2015.  In preferences, you can set up auto responses. So if I block someone and they try to message me, they get the message I've created.
Of course, that depends on me setting up a messaage. I've only had one person block me and I got the generic autoresponse saying I was blocked because they have it enabled. Otherwise, I'd have gotten no notification.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 271 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.