How do I create mist?

0zymandi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3193 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Thanks for answering my previous questions.

I would like to create a realistic mist to ad texture to my photos in SL. I picked up a weather HUD from the Market place but it does not provide the effect I am looking for. I am including a snapshot to illustrate the kind of realistic mist I would like to create. Does anyone know if there is a mist generator or something I could use that will affect a small area surrounding my avatar (30 to 40 meter radius). My intention is to use this in isolated areas so it will not disturb other people. If you know anything that might work please let me know. Also, if you know a way to acheive this effect using photoshop that would also be helpful. Thanks.

RiverCrossingaa057_001.jpg

3 answers to this question

most likely there is not really something wrong with the ones in you weather hud. You might be able to improve the result with some specific windlight settings.

Pictures as the one you include are not a good lead for enviremental settings in SL, 99% of all is modified by windlight and photoshopped, it's often not a real situation in SL.

Alwin is right that the "mist" in that photo was almost certainly Photoshopped after the photo was taken.  However, you'll find plenty of areas in SL where there is fog or mist or smoke.  All are particle effects.  You can buy or create particle generators quite easily.  Just start looking on Marketplace or, better yet, visit the Particle Laboratory on the Teal region in SL.  Most of us who do any creative work with particles started learning there.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3193 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.