Can I create a corporation?

badwolf007

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3271 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Can I create a corporation with many different companies and shareholders?

If, e.g. in RL I am an industrial designer who have designed a new product, I might need other people with different sills to go into business with, in order to create a stronger managerial team for a potentially growing company.

Then, if we have the necessary capital, we can buy an injection moulding factory and maybe a logistics company and create a corporation?

Can that happen in SL, or is this the case of having only an one man company only

5 answers to this question

Can I create a corporation with many different companies and shareholders?

If, e.g. in RL I am an industrial designer who have designed a new product, I might need other people with different sills to go into business with, in order to create a stronger managerial team for a potentially growing company.

Then, if we have the necessary capital, we can buy an injection moulding factory and maybe a logistics company and create a corporation?

Can that happen in SL, or is this the case of having only an one man company only

There is no such function build inside SL. Businesses are very informal in SL and I don't think I ever came across a structure that was bigger than a handful of people, usually with one or two owners and some people who assisted them or where hired for a certain skill.

And what you definitly won't find here are factories. Because thats not how building in SL works.

Sure.  Why not?  Most creators are lone wolves, but I have never run across any who are good at everything.  I love working in a team.  I can script almost anything and am a fairly decent builder, but I don't make animations and I am a mediocre texture artist.  When I team up with a talented 3D modeler or  someone who can create stunning textures, though, we can produce amazing products.  I have favorite clients -- other creators -- that I have worked with off and on for years.

Like Syo, I have not known many people who work in permanent teams, and there's certainly no merit to having a "factory" here, since you create everything out of pixels and scripting magic.  (We don't need no steenkin' injection moulder. :smileytongue: )  There's also not much need for managers, since here's not much to manage.  This is not a world of worker bees.  We're creators or consumers.

One final note, since you mentioned stockholders....... read the Linden Lab policy on banking.  Even before you get to the fine print, notice that you are expressly forbidden to engage in "inworld investment funds, stock offerings, and banking services and the like."

• Like 1

Yes, groups can create things cooperatively.  But don't think of it as a factory, think of it as a team of designers...or like the team of creative talent that gets together to create an animated motion picture.

Most teams in SL are distributed ones...they might get together in Second Life for planning, or to cooperatively build in an area, but a lot of the work will be done offline by individual team members, then brought in world and combined.

Here's a little example.

At Caledon Oxbridge University, a newcomer help area in Second Life, we wanted to provide some basic information to visitors who didn't speak English.  We asked around and found a number of people who were fluent in different languages, and we gave them a package of our information notecards.

The tranlators then translated those notecards, and each one gave us back a version of them in Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, or Russian.

Then another person made a vendor by creating textures based on the flags of the various countries, applying the textures to signs, and placing the translated notes into the sign prims, along with a script that would give the notecards to anyone who touched the sign.

Thus, the work of about eight people went into creating one little six-prim object!

On the other hand, actual corporations cannot legally exist in Second Life.  This is because avatars are anonymous, and anonymous people cannot enter into binding legal agreements.  But a corporation or LLC or partnership arrangement can exist OUTSIDE of Second Life and have as its purpose doing business within SL.  You would form your corporation in exactly the same way any other corporation is formed.  Of course, you and all the corporate officers would have to exchange Real Life names and contact information in order to do this.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3271 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.