when I rez an object on my land it just floats about

cakekaren

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2998 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

cakekaren wrote:

If I right click it to Edit it, I can move it into position, but as soon as I deselect it it just floats off. Any ideas?

Tie strings to them?

I've never heard of this happening before, and can't think of a mechanism to explain it. Do they really just slowly float away, or do they zoom off to the edge of the sim? If the latter, it could be that you're moving the thing along an axis that almost normal (pointing at you) to the screen. The sensitivity to mouse movement in the case becomes so high that it's easy to fling things out of sight. The solution is to orbit your camera a bit around the prim until the axis you want isn't pointing at you.

If the former, come back to your question and tell us more about how the things move. You can edit it via "Options" over there on the right.

ETA: Is this an object you're creating, or one you bought? If you bought it, it could be something that's supposed to float. You'll have to stop any scripts that are inside it to make it sit still. And even then it might fall to the ground if it's set "physical".

If the object is floating, it's set to be physical, which means that it will respond to pushes and shoves from anything around it, including the wind. Vehicles are physical in SL, and so are things like balloons that are meant to move around. If you don't want it to be physical, select it with your Build Edit tool and UNclick the Physical box on the Object page of the editor.  Before you start messing with any object's properties, though, make a copy for your inventory first.  That way you have a way to recover after you say "Oooops."

This may not apply to your situation, but I'll put it out just in case it does.

When you edit it, and move it into position, be sure that you move it down to make sure that the object is all the way down onto the floor or the ground (or another object that you want it to be on or below).  Sometimes objects will look like they are on the floor or ground, but they are not really, and as you walk around and view them, they appear to be 'floating' around a little bit.  Same with horizontal/vertical placements - something may look like it's on a shelf or hanging from a railing until you zoom in from another angle and see that it's not very close.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2998 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.