I'm unsure as to how I may save my house and the items inside,as a whole.

Jay Mote

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2837 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

How may I save my house and the items inside, together as a whole? I purchased a home and items to place in it. Now, I'd like to save the layout within the house, with the house.

Alright, I figured that. But, I forgot to and should have clarified the real issue with that..I'm unable to select. Or use ctrl-3. I've tried a few ways, to try and see if I could save it all, even with that issue at hand. I apologize for not fully explaining or clarifying the entire issue. 

Never mind it. I figured out another way to do so, after toying with it a bit. But even so, thank you both. :womanlol:

3 answers to this question

You are asking about how to use coalesced objects.  Read these two Knowledge Base articles very carefully:

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Building-tips/ta-p/700041

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-move-a-build/ta-p/919109

The coalesced feature is very handy but also a bit tricky, so it's wise to practice in a sandbox with a collection of prims that won't matter if you lose them.  One bit of advice that is not stressed as much as it should be, IMO, is to be sure that your editor is open (with CTRL + 3) before you decide to rez a coalesced object that is in your inventory.  If you do that, the entire object will be selected when it is rezzed, so you will be able to move the whole thing easily.  That's especially important if you accidentally rez it in the wrong place, or partly inside something else.  After all, the individual items in a coalesced object are not linked, so they will be completely independent unless you have already selected them.

• Like 1

As far as saving it, I assume you mean, you don't want to worry about accidentally moving or deleting items or parts of the house?

Or do you mean you bought a prefab in a rez box and want to save the position and location?  

If you mean the first scenario, then you can go into Edit for each item, and for each section of the house (or select multiple items at a time, also works) and in the Object tab, choose LOCK.  You won't be able to move or change the item while that box is selected.  You can still delete or pick up the item, however, but will get a warning notices first, asking if you really want to do that to locked items.  

Two other options, since you say you want to save it all "as a whole" Is to select EVERYTHING  by going into arial view and drawing a box around it all while in Edit mode, selecting all at once, and then from the pie menu, take a copy of everything and put that in a folder.  However, for that to work, all items selected must have copy perms.  

The other option is to get a rez box script set (the same that builders put their houses in) and stuff all your items including  your house in one of those, and then you could conceivably rez it all in a new location at a later date, like if you moved to a new parcel. However, in order to do this, everything you are saving must be both copy and modify.  Copy, because when you derez it using the scripts, it actually deletes the rezzed items forever, allowing you to rez a new copy when you rez it all someplace else.  The reason you must also have modify rights (not of the scripts in it, just the objects themselves) is so you can add the required script to each item or house part so you can use them in the rez box.  

I hope these answers help more than they confuse.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Ah and the tip for coelesced itmes the other person gave is a very good tip.  That would apply to if you just selected and copied the whole thing, house and all. When you rez that copy you want to already be in edit mode and stay in it, like she said, because all items will still be selected in a group if you are.  If you aren't already in edit when you drag that mass from your inventory, you will have to reselect everything to move it as a group to a better position than where you first plunked it down.  I will add that you CAN pick up a mass of items that are not copy...just select the group and choose "Take."  I believe the last thing that you select when you pick them up is what the mass will be called in your inventory, so be sure to set up a folder with the you will identify it with....like "Parker house - Furnished" and that you put that mass into that folder once you "take" it.  If the last thing you selected with was, say, a lamp, or just "object" or "roof" tht is what the mass will be called in your inventory, so proper folder naming and filing will be your best friend later on.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2837 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.