How do I upload my own body shape into SL with my name as creator. Not mesh just a regular shape?

Leelana

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1896 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have searched through these answers and online all over but all I can find instructions on is the mesh shapes. I want to do normal body shapes and it must be possible since there are so many who sell body shapes in SL with themselves listed as the creator..

Anyone know how its done?

12 answers to this question

You can export shapes to your computer and reupload them.

Instructions vary slightly for different viewers.

To export a  shape on LL viewer & Firestorm & any other V3 based TPV

• Wear the shape you want to export.
  • Activate the Develop menu in the top menu bar using CTRL+ALT+Q
  • Develop -> Avatar -> Character Tests -> Appearance to XML
  • The LL viewer will give no feedback that the shape has been saved but you will find it in C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs
  • The shape file will be named Your_Avatar_name_s_0000.xml or similar.
  • Firestorm will pop up the file picker & you can choose where to save your shape & choose the file name.

To reimport your saved shape you need a TPV to do it.

For Firestorm:

• Create a new shape by opening inventory, click the + button -> New Body Parts -> New Shape
  • Wear this new shape.
  • Right click your avatar -> Edit appearance -> Edit shape.
  • In the Editing Shape window, click the Import button bottom right & browse to your saved shape file.
  • You will now be wearing your saved shape.
  • Save changes to this shape inworld.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Hi Leelana,

I don't know of any way to upload or download shape settings. I just fiddle with the shape settings until I have what I want and then I save the shape. That act of saving is what puts my (your) creator name on the shape. I think the library shapes are mod, so you can start with one you like and improve from there.

• Like 2

Maddy is right, as often happens.  You can't upload or download shape params.  If I remember correctly, there are 72 sliders in the Appearance controls.  At one point, when I was paranoid about losing my perfect shape, I copied those 72 numbers all out manually and made a table so I could re-enter them when disaster struck.  It never did and I never had to, thank goodness.  Now I can't find the table.

When I wanted to create a twin alt a few years ago, I simply copied my entire shape and gave it to her.  She was, needlesss to say, overjoyed.

• Like 1

I had done this before quite some time ago but could not for the life of me remember how!  So Whirly's clear and simple guide above was perfect and worked perfectly...  well, almost, it seemed for a while.

The discrepancy seemed to be in the overall avatar 'Height' data point.  While all the individual sliders were identical, this figure was different between the two avatars was the 'Height'. (The second avatar was my drone alt, a term which provoked some amusement on the FS support group today) ...  but in other words, same RL 'driver', same viewer etc

Eventually I worked out the answer and it's a bit weird.  It turns out that the 'Height' notation at the very top of the shape adjustment window takes into account if you are wearing high heeled shoes even if those are not at all actually part of the avatar/shape.  Very very strange and would be curious how that works, but I at least have the answer to what I thought was a serious problem.

Any clues about why that 'Height' figure includes shoes which are not actually 'part' of the avatar but are to all intents and purposes attachments?

On 2/13/2016 at 3:29 PM, Bobbie Faulds said:

You can't really upload, per se. Open your inventory window. You should have a + sign. Click on that then click new body parts and then new shape. You'll have a new shape appear in your inventory that's created by you. Now you can wear it and alter it as you please.

Oh you definitely can upload.  If you have an XML file exported by one avatar, another avatar can Import it into a new shape they are wearing.  (If you need to share an XML file to another user, may I suggest the site https://www.file.io/  That site allows a one time download of your file by another person to whom you give the resulting link, and is pretty much to all intents and purposes anonymous).

7 hours ago, Yukari Kimagawa said:

Any clues about why that 'Height' figure includes shoes which are not actually 'part' of the avatar but are to all intents and purposes attachments?

There are three variables that affect hover height (if that's what you're after, and not simply "height").

• Your shoe base
  • The Hover slider (Appearance menu, body tab, last item)
  • Your "hover height" setting in the viewer (in Firestorm, the easiest way to get at this is the Quick Prefs button, and the Hover Height slider).

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

There are three variables that affect hover height (if that's what you're after, and not simply "height").

• Your shoe base
  • The Hover slider (Appearance menu, body tab, last item)
  • Your "hover height" setting in the viewer (in Firestorm, the easiest way to get at this is the Quick Prefs button, and the Hover Height slider).

Thanks for those additional ideas, Lindal.  The hover height doesn't seem to affect the avatar 'Height' statistic, but I didn't know that a shoe base will affect it!  We learn something every day.  Thank you!

On 2/12/2016 at 6:16 PM, Leelana said:

I have searched through these answers and online all over but all I can find instructions on is the mesh shapes. I want to do normal body shapes and it must be possible since there are so many who sell body shapes in SL with themselves listed as the creator..

Anyone know how its done?

This is a VERY necro'd thread, but since @lulzsecOxide resurrected it AND no one ever answered the OPs question....

In your inventory, right-click on the folder where you want your new shape. Choose NEW->Shape. That's it. Now edit to your liking.

The shape files when exported are XML which is written in plain text and easily editable.

See https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-216131  (Please click Watch)

You can edit a shape file so that it only includes part of the body. This is a handy thing with the various bodies and heads available today.

So, I have made a body shape only and uploaded it. I've removed all the settings that affect the head from the XML file. If I buy a new head I can wear the shape that comes with it. Of course that changes my body too. I can wear the body-only shape I made to get my body back without changing the head's shape. I then save the resulting shape as a new shape that combines my body and the new head.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1896 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.