How do I test a skin I've made?

Dawn Khaos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3196 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I want to test it out without spending L to upload it. Someone mentioned I could replace the skin textures of one of the default avatars but I'm curious if there's a less tedious method. Also, what file format should I save the skin as?

3 answers to this question

You have a couple of options.  One is to use Local Textures, which are temporary and free.  The other is to work on the SL Beta grid (Aditi), which Linden Lab allows SL residents to use for testing purposes.  It costs nothing to upload textures there, but you cannot bring them back to the main grid.  Since you are testing, though, that's fine.

• Like 3

Save the image of the completed skin templates as a .jpg file.  Be sure to save the alpha channel with the file (32 bit).  You'll save three files...head, upper body, lower body.

Import the images.  For testing, as Rolig says, use local textures or log in to the Aditi grid and upload there, using your $L balance (it's "play money", not real $L.)

Apply the textures to your body, using Appearance/Create New Skin.  Save the changes as a new skin, and it should appear in your inventory as a skin-type object.

When satisfied with your test uploads, do the same on the main grid.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3196 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.