Can I change the prim face for a hollow object's direction?

DAWillie Minotaur

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2809 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I created a prism (triangle) in Firestorm, and I want to edit it and create a hollow square through the triangular face. This would be similar to a house dormer with a window in it.  I can create the hollow square, but it is always through the rectangular/square base of the prism. I can't change it to go through the triangular face, even if I select the face before creating the hollow square. Can anyone help?  Thanks in advance.

Thank you both. Seemed like it should be easy. And i hve no idea how you got the square in that face, roatated or not - lol.  

5 answers to this question

Hollowing a prism with a square puts the hole in the triangular face, but it'll be rotated 45° from what you'd expect of a dormer window. I don't know how you got the hole in the rectangular face. Here's my attempt just moments ago...

As Pixieplumb says, you'll have to either search out a sculpt/mesh building component in the marketplace, or build it externally.

• Like 1

1.  You only get the square in the face of the prism if you use, as your basic prim shape, "PRISM" instead of using a rectangle and then tapering it.

2.  I managed your "dormer window" but it took three prims...

The top prim (white) is a tapered rectangle.  The red prim is a rectangle, with both taper and top shear applied.  Adjust to match the slope of the top prim.  The blue prim is simply the red prim, rotated 180 deg on the Z axis.  The red and blue prims are actually triangular, but part of them is hidden inside the white prim.  You'll have to take some care to avoid texture chatter (surfaces of the prims too close together)  Link the prims, and use Features/Physics, setting the object to Convex Hull.  This cuts the Land Impact of the 3 prims down to 2.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2809 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.