how do I build a house to live in

gothicbabe4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

"How to Build" is way too big a topic to fully address here in Answers.  One of the best tutorials you can do is the self-paced exercises that you can find in world at The Ivory Tower Library of Primitives. 

Your first attempts at building might frustrate you, especially if you are doing something as big as a house.  I suggest that before you even buy or rent land for your house that you practice building.  You can do this in a public sandbox, an area set aside for building.  Find such areas by using Search/Places and enter "sandbox" as the search term.  There is a public sandbox at Caledon Oxbridge University.

Just to complicate things, these days there are TWO methods of building things.  You can use the in-world build tools that the Ivory Tower tutorials will show you, or you can make Mesh objects, using an external 3D modeling program.  Blender is free, and very popular.  Again, there are tutorials on the Web on how to use Blender in general, and how to export models from Blender into Second Life.

As much as I applaud your desire to "do it yourself", and encourage you to explore this fascinating subject, you might want something nice to live in right away.  Other residents have created thousands of houses...everything from a grass shack to a treehouse to a five story mansion.  You can purchase these creations on the Marketplace or from many stores in world.

• Like 3

Welcome to SL, GothicBabe!

Lindal gave excellent advice, I'll just add moral support. While building in Second Life may seem daunting (it is!), and your early efforts will not match those of seasoned veterans, you should know that many of us who have been here for years, and who can build virtually anything we want, cannot do one thing that will come naturally to you...

...we can't recreate the thrill of being new to this world!

I hope you have as wonderful an experience as those of us who've been here for years. Be patient, enjoy the company of the creative people that haunt this place, and enjoy yourself!

Good luck!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.