are there regulations regarding orb scanning limitations on the Governor Linden mainland?

GaryPreston

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2899 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I own a helicopter and often fly around the Blake Sea region and I would like to know if there are any regulations regarding the scanning limits of orbs and at what minimum height I can expect to be able to fly without being ejected from my aircraft with it being returned to my inventory Lost and Found folder. It has happened to me several times that even flying above 100m some orbs have ejected me with the reason either that I have entered private property or that the parcel is too full.

I find it very disconcerting, and unsportsmanlike for people to use this kind of "protection"  in a region which is meant to support and encourage flying and sailing sports in Second Life. I wonder if there is a means of recourse or should I just give up flying to interesting parts of the map and so spoil the whole enjoyment of a game I have grown to love over the years. I also wonder what other people think and do about this nuisance. Answers would be welcomed.

Gary

7 answers to this question

There are no regulations - landowners own the land and the sky above it, and can scan, kick and ban as they please. Governor Linden doesn't pay the tier, landowners do.

The 'parcel is too full' message is probably not an orb, but instead your 'heavy' helicopter occupying prim-space on other peoples' property, to the point that it fills the parcel to full, and the simulator is throwing errors at you. I can't say I blame landowners for blocking others from filling their parcels in this way, since it can create havoc for those who pay the tier.

You don't have a right to fill other peoples' parcels with prims just to fly over them. If you want room to fly, stick to public land (owned directly by Governor Linden) or pay for it.

• Like 3

who owns the land makes the rules.

Orbs are recommended to have a decent time of warning, ánd stay withing the parcelborders.

As flyer you have  no rights to fly over other peoples property, unless they gave you personally permission, and some dó allow it without prior permission.

You can like it or not, but they own, and pay for the land, and make the rules. Would be a bit strange to pay for using property but need to allow others to use it too... while they don't pay.

There are several discussions about this subject in the forum section.

edit/added

bring you point to the forums please instead of reply in permalinks. the Q&A section isn't designed for discussion.

• Like 3

Thank you for your replies. I of course know that no one has any RIGHT anywhere in SL except on land you own yourself. My question was more geared toward covenants (I know some regions have none), regional convention and reasonable, acceptable behaviour. I have owned several islands in the Blake Sea region and Azure and there were rules in the covenants such as setting aside a certain number of prims and limiting the scanning height of orbs to 50m so that boating and flying enthusiasts could enjoy the region without hindrance. I know that this is purely at the discretion of the estate owners, and I think it is an excellent example which ought to have been set by Governor Linden himself.
This brings me to the point which mentions land owned by Governor Linden. The parcel I got ejected from was in fact owned by Governor Linden and it has No Entry signs all round the parcel although I see that the objects rrezzed there are owned by Ariana Mirabella (see this profile!) .... not mentioned in About Land. The parcel is called The Enchanted Pavilion, at Nautilus - Yarikh 27, 58. So not only is the parcel not accessible, the email I received from Second Life said that the "parcel is full". The message I received in local chat said - Land-Security Orb 3.5.75: You have just been ejected from this parcel by 'Land-Security Orb'. Shop: secondlife://Titian/135/223/351/ (For full documentation, visit: http://www.thomas-conover.com/gadgets/landorb/ . Which one overrides which? It's all very confusing. I happen to own an orb of Thomas Conover myself and always allow for passing traffic. I also don't use banlines in a "public" region such as the Blake Sea. I have visited Nautilus many times but always by boat and enjoyed going there. This was my first helicopter visit. Before you lambase me with "rights" I DO realise that we have no rights on or over land we don't own and that people are perfectly free to set their own "security means" as they want. Talking more about something akin to having to clear snow from the sidewalk in front of our houses in RL although we don't own them. I'm sure you understand what I'm on about. Perhaps it is just something that could be put to the Lindens. I will have a look at the forums to see if anyone else is of the same opinion.

Gary, if you want to discuss this subject, please bring it to the forums. The Q & A section isn't meant, nor usable for that. All new posts at permalinks will be hidden till you click them. There was a recent thread about this and most of these are post 1 yes,post 2 no ..and so on... end of the list is, every owner decides himself.

And remove the names of other residents, it's not allowed to mention others.on forums.

GaryPreston wrote:

. I also wonder what other people think and do about this nuisance.

They buy security orbs to keep people from using up their LI with such flying machines.

Security orbs cannot boot you from Governor Linden's land.  Just like RL, you can't fly anywhere you want.  Stick to the approved areas and stay out of residental areas and you should be fine.

• Like 1

As an aviator and sailor myself, I find myself in disagreement with the other responders.

First, the "parcel full" message.  This is neither the fault of the landowner, OR your fault for overflying a full parcel.  And I have never seen a parcel being deliberately maxed out to keep out vehicles.  The "no object entry" flag is much better for that purpose.  This is just a fact of SLife...if you try to bring a vehicle into a parcel that doesn't have enough spare capacity for it, you'll get an error message and be kept out...and most likely ejected from your vehicle and embedded in the ocean floor too.  Yeck.

I always try to keep enough spare prims in the bank to allow vehiclular traffic, but it's by no means a requirement.  Travelers are advised to buy a "ban line and parcel full" HUD to detect such navigational hazards and avoid them.

It's true that the landowner has the right to set any scanning and warning time limitation she wants.  On the other hand, it would be polite for them to limit scan areas to those that really need protection, and avoid waterways and air routes where possible.  

No security orb can affect an area larger than one entire region, and I think their vertical range is also limited to 256m from their local position, though I'm not certain of that.  So flying above 256m should provide some measure of safety except from orbs in skyboxes.

But to answer your question:  No, there aren't any regulations.  So fly carefully!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2899 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.