Highlight button

CuriousAboutSL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3075 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

18 answers to this question

Well, for example, the Lab decided early on that they were going to put a Kudos button in Answers and in the Creation forums but not anywhere else. As another example, you see the "Accept as Solution": button on responses to your own question here, but (most of) the rest of us don't have that button. On a broader level, the Lab also decided that they were going to set the regular forums up as discussions, so that a person who started a thread could post in it, but made this area a short response non-discussion forum. (An OP in Answers cannot post a public response in the thread but has to post replies either as edits to the original question or as Permalink replies.) Those options were each applied selectively, so they appear in some of the SL forums but not others. This is a flexible package, used by companies other than Linden Lab. Each buyer chooses how to configure it for its own needs.

Probably. Although in the 6 years since they went to using this software package, you may be the first person who has ever noticed that it was there. At least, you're the first person I can recall who has ever remarked on it here. The Highlight button is sort of like all of the extra buttons on the TV remote that probably do something on someone's set but don't seem to have any effect on my own. Curious, unnecessary things, but benign. Now that you've focused my mind on it, my guess is that either (1) Linden Lab can't turn that button off for some reason or -- more likely -- (2) they never noticed it either.

• Like 1

Highlight - as used in the forum boards - adds the following to the page URI: "/highlight/true#<MessageID>"
My understanding is that this makes the messages CSS alter briefly when the page is loaded, and focuses the view-port on the highlighted message. (i.e., scrolls the browser window down to the highlighted post).

The only benefit of this seems to be when using the Community Search function, and perhaps in posting links to specific posts from elsewhere (though it shares behaviour with the Permalink feature).

HTH.

• Like 1

Yes. Sorry if I was unclear - the CSS change (post background sets to a mid-grey for a couple of seconds) and the view-port focus are both observed effects from visiting a URI that has a /highlight/true added to it in the correct way. For reference, I typically run Chromium-based browsers.

Try this link to a highlighted post of mine (with your browser zoomed out to catch the CSS change):- https://community.secondlife.com/t5/LSL-Scripting/integer-link/m-p/2973228/highlight/true#M29222

There are definitely flaws with this feature (e.g., functionality exists elsewhere, and the CSS generally resets before the page has fully loaded) but Highlight does do something.

First of all, Freya, when you suggest a solution, it should be visible as a separate answer or else the original poster can not select it as a solution (there is no "accept as solution" button here). Maybe you should move it where it deserves.

Second, I'm not sure what you're saying is related to the highlight feature.Sure it looks like so, but try also to do the same with a non highlighted post... I think what you described happens because you're using the link of the post (so browser trying to show you the target) either is highlighted or not.

(On request, copying to here from JIRA, so it can show up in the answers search.)

Highlight does do something, but it's a little obscure with the CSS used by LL. What it does is change the link to the top of that post in the thread, so that by default you would scroll there (provided the thread is long enough to make your browser scroll). The URL in your browser's address bar will change to match, you'll see the address has something like #M123456 appended that changes when you highlight different posts in the thread.

It can be useful, if you want to share a link to a specific post in a thread.

Visually, if you look really really closely, the border around the highlighted post gets a faint squared edge added to the normal rounded one.

You'll also see links on the left, as "Message 3 of 5" and so on; clicking the first number there will do the same as highlight.

---

Back when this version of the forum was new, I made this thing which makes the highlighting more apparent, among other tweaks. It still works, if you'd like to try it.

• Like 1

So, practically, it does absolutely nothing more (or different) than what the permalink does. What's the point then?

Visually, I still can not see any difference no matter how closely I look. ( I use Linux. Is it a Windows thing? ). Besides, if you need to look really really close, as you said, to recognize a highlighted post, then how that can be called "highlight"? You are right saying it is obscure. It is so obscure, it loses the point.

I still believe this button can be eliminated without someone missing it. However, this is not jira for me to make suggestions. I asked a question, you answered and a Linden verified. That's more than enough for me to accept it as solution and thank you.

I also gave you kudos for your thing → https://userstyles.org/styles/44855/community-secondlife-com-blue-goo-theme
It is actually so nice that -for that alone- makes me happy for starting this issue :-)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3075 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.