Important tip for fixing payment problems

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Linden Lab recently adopted a new payment system. A common problem is that attempts to bring money into an SL account from an existing credit card are now failing (with an error message). Similarly, attempts to buy Lindens inworld are failing (without any error message). The solution that worked for me was to delete payment information and reenter it.

Doing so is a bit unintuitive because there is no single, master location for reentering billing information. Also, one has to perform an actual transaction to fill in credit card details. I presume the system is smart enough to use the info for membership and tier billing. I also presume the system is smart enough to use the info for inworld L$ purchases. It's all a bit fiddly, but it does solve the 'increase credit' problem.

ETA:

There seems to be no way to set up payment through the viewer. The option is unavailable. Attempting to purchase L$ through the viewer results in a message to go to the website to set up payment through the viewer, for which no option exists. This means inworld L$ purchases have been disabled, so, one must purchase L$ manually via the website.

Yes, the system is smart enough to use the info supplied for membership and tier payments, but you have to go to the membership page to see it.

I read somewhere that the inworld button for buying Lindens had been disabled on 1.23 viewers (which would include most of the TPVs) I hadn`t heard it wasn`t working for the V2 ones.

It would also appear that new SL Cashier for non-US residents, which was previously only available to new accounts, has now been made available for old residents with existing payment info on file. Since some of those were still using payment methods that are no longer accepted, maybe its blocking them so they are forced to reset their info and get directed to SL Cashier.

Just a thought, it could just be that something is broken as usual lol :D

that's a very problematic suggestion for non-US residents who formerly used paypal, and were allowed to keep using it as long as they didn't change their payment method.... since once they change payment methods, they can no longer use that functionality.

Deltango Vale wrote:

There seems to be no way to set up payment through the viewer. The option is unavailable. Attempting to purchase L$ through the viewer results in a message to go to the website to set up payment through the viewer, for which no option exists. This means inworld L$ purchases have been disabled, so, one must purchase L$ manually via the website.

Yes, the system is smart enough to use the info supplied for membership and tier payments, but you have to go to the membership page to see it.

I have options for recurring fees, buying L$ on the website, buying Linden dollars in the viewer and increasing my Linden dollar balance. I have to associate a payment method with all of those to use all the features.

It's simple really - stop buying stuff and paying tier, then it won't matter how badly LL screw up the payment system. I sold my land and went Basic when LL stopped accepting Paypal outside the US, and I've seen nothing since that might persuade me to start spending again.

I simply can't comprehend why a large, established company would deliberately make it hard for their customers to give them money - frankly, they don't deserve to stay in business if that's the best they can do.

If you are using paypal and you are outside the US don't  delete payment info or you won't be able do add it again ;-)

----------------------

Note: Residents outside the US that already have billing relationships with Linden Lab using PayPal will continue to be able to use that payment method. For Residents outside the US that wish to change their payment method and begin using the local payments system, or that are creating new accounts, PayPal is temporarily unavailable as a payment method, but we are working to enable it. All Residents will continue to be able to cash out using PayPal.

----------------------

Here is the link for this changes for people ouside the US. http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Local_Payments_FAQ

Deltango Vale wrote:

Linden Lab recently adopted a new payment system. A common problem is that attempts to bring money into an SL account from an existing credit card are now failing (with an error message). Similarly, attempts to buy Lindens inworld are failing (without any error message). The solution that worked for me was to delete payment information and reenter it.

Doing so is a bit unintuitive because there is no single, master location for reentering billing information. Also, one has to perform an actual transaction to fill in credit card details. I presume the system is smart enough to use the info for membership and tier billing. I also presume the system is smart enough to use the info for inworld L$ purchases. It's all a bit fiddly, but it does solve the 'increase credit' problem.

ETA:

That's what I told last week to a friend that was trying to buy L$ without success - and worked for her.

I wrote about it in the "Answers", but people read more here. Kudos to you, Deltango :smileywink:

Catwise Yoshikawa wrote:

If you are using paypal and you are outside the US don't  delete payment info or you won't be able do add it again ;-)

I actually have a working paypal that I could use - but I'm not going to take the risk of owning land when the unsupported non-US Paypal facility could disappear at any moment, leaving me unable to pay my tier and at risk of losing all I might have built.

I've cancelled and re-entered my billing info maybe 10 times now and I still can't process payments.

My account says I owe LL's $24.95 USD... and the darn thing won't accept my payment...

Starting to get worried they'll shut it off and delete my stuff before sorting it out...

Luc Starsider wrote:

I didn't see any reference to it in the thread, but does anybody know why they stopped accepting Paypal as payment method for non-us citizens?

- Luc -

I vaguely recall some suggestion that nobody at LL actually checked before they replaced the company doing their payment stuff, and that they were as surprised as we were.

@Void.

That sounds plausible, but I have no idea what it means :)

@Arkady.

Not sure I understand how that would work, but I suppose it could. It does not sound good, so lets hope it is, as you say, just a suggestion and not a fact...

I would like it if they would reinstate paypal as an option for non-us people in any case. I prefer using paypal when shopping online.

- Luc -

@Arkady.

Not sure I understand how that would work, but I suppose it could. It does not sound good, so lets hope it is, as you say, just a suggestion and not a fact...
- Luc -

My understanding is that LL switched the contract for the job of handling customer's money to an American online gambling company last year (not sure who had it before). My vague recollection of discussions at the time was that no-one had thought to check that the new company actually handled Paypal outside the US. We were promised that it was 'temporary' and 'would be fixed as soon as possible' but, in typical LL fashion, nothing has yet been done to rectify the situation. While I don't mind trusting Paypal, I'm not about to give my credit-card details to some foreign (to me) gambling company I've never heard of...

Luc Starsider wrote:
I would like it if they would reinstate paypal as an option for non-us people in any case. I prefer using paypal when shopping online.

- Luc -

Absolutely - but don't hold your breath.

Arkady Arkright wrote:

My understanding is that LL switched the contract for the job of handling customer's money to an American online gambling company last year (not sure who had it before). My vague recollection of discussions at the time was that no-one had thought to check that the new company actually handled Paypal outside the US. We were promised that it was
'temporary
' and '
would be fixed as soon as possible
' but, in typical LL fashion, nothing has yet been done to rectify the situation. While I don't mind trusting Paypal, I'm not about to give my credit-card details to some foreign (to me) gambling company I've never heard of...

I see what you mean now. I feel the same; I don't want to give up my credit card number to a company unless I know it and trust it. This gambling company is totally unknown to me...

Luc Starsider wrote:I would like it if they would reinstate paypal as an option for non-us people in any case. I prefer using paypal when shopping online. - Luc -

Absolutely - but don't hold your breath.

Don't worry, I won't. I couldn't possibly hold it for that long, anyway. :)

- Luc -

• 3 weeks later...

Blog is up!

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/On-the-Road-to-Local-Payments/ba-p/845611

On the Road to Local Payments

by LindenFJ Linden on 04-29-2011 11:39 AM 

We recently began beta testing a new system that enables our international customers to use local currencies and other local payment methods when purchasing Linden dollars and conducting other financial transactions with Linden Lab. We want to make it easier, and less expensive, for our international customers to shop and do business in Second Life. After all, wouldn’t it be nice to use your own currency, or PayPal, to purchase Linden dollars and also save money on fees? We think so too.

Based on our beta testing to date, we’ve learned a lot and discovered a few issues that we want to change and improve. So, I wanted to share our progress and what to expect as we roll this capability out to all international users later this year.

• Recent Billing Issues Will Not Affect Your Account Status: For those that have run into billing glitches, let me put your mind at ease. Some international customers have tried to pay us (to keep their account current) and they were unable to complete the transaction. If you’ve encountered this problem, then please accept our apologies. Rest assured that everyone who was not able to provide payments, due to this system issue, have already had their accounts manually restored as we work to implement a fix. The affected accounts are still in good standing and these customers will not lose their status or land as a consequence.
  • Local Payments Will be Available in all Supported Viewers: Another concern that has been raised by the community is whether users can purchase Linden dollars using local currencies in Viewer 1.23. The answer is yes, although some people using Viewer 1.23 may have run into issues purchasing Linden dollars a few weeks ago. The issue has since been fixed. Now, customers who are in this beta can purchase Linden dollars using all supported Viewers.
  • We Need to Make the Local Payments System Easier to Use: On the usability side, we have beta tested local payments with new and current international customers and we’ve found we need some additional usability work to ensure that purchasing Linden dollars (and other transactions) is an easier, intuitive experience. While we are doing that, we will not add any new or current Residents to the beta system instead they will stay on the standard payments system.  But if you have already been using the local payments beta version, then you will continue to do so while we continue getting ready for a wider roll out.

In late July, we’ll be ready to provide all of our international customers with comprehensive local payment options in a system that works seamlessly and is easy to use. I’ll be updating you again as we get closer to releasing the system. Thanks for you patience as we work out the kinks.

And, if you have additional questions about the system, then there’s a comprehensive Local Payments article with a Help and Frequently Asked Questions (including how to contact Support) in English, Français, Deutsch, Español, Italiano, Português, and 日本語.

I have tried just about everything LL has told me about fixing the billing problem...just about.  I refuse to pay to phone England, during the day--from Canada--to have the problem (hopefully) resolved.  I am now in the process of liquidating my mainland and rentals.  I even borrowed money from SL friends to pay rents.  I will have to pay them back with what remains of my stipend.  And it is very frustrating when I have said I have done everything (except the phone call) that LL support suggested and they start giving me the same suggestions again...like...download Opera and so on...I have developed a fun second life in these passed few years and I suppose that is coming to an end.  I am very frustrated with it.  I was just on vacation in the United States and tried to make my mainland tier payment there...hoping an American ISP might open the door for me...it didn't work and I actually got SL security on my back...when I explained the problem they forwarded me to a support person who started listing the same suggestions again.  It's not working. 

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree with Arkady: if they make it difficult to spend money from outside the USA, then let's just stop doing so.

However, I have one new problem: since the transfer to Local payments wiped my payment info without a warning, I am unable to set my tier to ZERO. You need payment info "to not pay any longer". :-(

I can not add a payment method by "initiating a transaction" at the moment either: it will first spend the USD in my account, which I need to pay my last month's tier.

• 2 years later...

Its the second time ive had this payment problem with LL   so if they dont want my money  then the hell with them , Im sick and tired of spending so much time trying to give LL ny money and getting all these silly messages that theres a problem with my payment method and blaaa blaa blaaa ,,,,ENOUGH

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.