walking surface raised

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been working with a sculpted ground surface for years. Suddenly, I'm walking two or three feet above the surface. Is it a glitch in the new uploads. I've rezzed several items that I made with this surface and to the one, each surface makes me walk above it rather than on it. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Atlantis Jewell

This might help;

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Right-click on your avatar and select "Hover Height". That should be in the vicinity of 50. If it's much higher than that, that's your problem. If your feet sink far into the ground after setting hover height near 50, there may be something amiss with your avatar, making SL think you're far taller than you appear. If you have a classic avatar shape, try switching to another one, perhaps from the Library.

My hover height at default is 0.00, so if the 50 value is incorrect, 0.00 should be.

- read more at the original similar post about this.

thanks for your idea and I've experimented and without changing any height issues, I walk on the surface of SL ground and my building platforms, my floating island etc, and I'm directly above the surface not 2-3 feet like my sculpt ground on my swings... any other ideas?

Atlantis Jewell

Atlantis Jewell wrote:

Is it a glitch in the new uploads.

A sculpt map is simply a texture file and there isn't that much that can go wrong at the uploads. More to the point in this case, a sculpt's physics shape has no relation to the visual shape or anything you upload - all sculpts use the same preset "flattened torus" physics shape that is rarely useable as a walking surface. The common solution is to set the sculpt to phantom and build a separate physics model from invisible prims.

There used to be  a hack that allowed people to make sculpts with detailed physics but that was years ago and it's not possible to do that anymore.

But I do get a feeling you are talking about mesh rather than sculpt surfaces and if so, that's a completely different issue.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.