problem with uploading textures!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4776 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hey there.

I am creating a texture in photoshop cs4.

Saving the texture (jpg,png,targa 32bit tried them all)

uploading to second life. when i am browsing and previewing the texture before hit the upload, i can see the image.

after the upload is complete, all i get is a grey image and nothing more than that.

i tried to upload various of images in various formats.

please help anyone

I am using Macbook pro, 2.53, 4gb ram, with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

thanks

You'll see gray until the texture fully loads.  The copy you see in preview is the one that's already on your hard-drive, so of course you see that one right away.  But that isn't the same file as the one that gets delivered in-world.

A few things have to happen before you can see the in-world version.  First, when you hit the upload button, your local viewer prepares a copy of the image (in JPEG2000 format), and it is that copy, not the original file, that gets uploaded.  From the upload server, it then goes to the asset sever for storage.  The asset server then delivers it to the sim (the server for whatever region you're on), and the sim then delivers it to you so you can see it in the viewer.  Oh, and if all that wasn't complicated enough, it's not just one version of the texture that gets uploaded, but four, at various levels of detail.

In short, after you upload the image, you have to wait to re-download it before you can see it, if that makes sense.

Usually, this whole process only takes a few seconds, tops.  But if you're on a slow internet connection, or if you've got a slow computer, or if the SL system itself is currently experiencing a slowdown, it can sometimes take a while.  Every so often the asset server decides to freak out a bit, just so you know.  When that happens, all kinds of things go wrong in SL.  It occurs far less these days than it used to, but it still, it does happen.

On rare occasions, it's as much as 24 hours before all four levels of detail for a texture become loadable.  I know this isn't a fun answer, but give it a day.  If tomorrow you still can't see the textures you uploaded today, then you know something is actually wrong, and then you can start trouble shooting.  For now, even though it sucks, jsut be patient, and try to keep in mind that orniarily textures appear in a matter of seconds, so don't get discouraged. :)

By the way, if you haven't done so already, read the stickied thread on texture optimzation, at the top of the forum.  The larger your textures, the longer they'll take to load, and the more they'll slow down your (and everyone else's) frame rate.  If you're trying to load a bunch of big textures at once, it can be a good long time before they appear.  Always keep your textures as small as possible.  The guide I posted in the thread will give you a good overview of what sizes you should be using.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4776 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.