(new player) having trouble with maintaining textures on my character.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I want to apologize in advance, because i'm not entirely sure which forum this goes under, and this seemed to be the most fitting. I recently found out that i can add textures, onto my character and objects, but they won't stay on after I log out. They turn blank after I log back in.

This is what I'm doing.

I spawn an item then go to the texture tab. Where the texture box is, I click on it, click on the local circle to gain access to other images in my computer, click on said image, and the texture is successfuly added. I save it,  but unfortunately this process keeps repeating.

I'm not entirely sure what i'm doing wrong, or if it's glitching out when i log back in, or any other variable. If anyone is able to provide a newbie such as myself with some feedback, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

You're not doing anything wrong.  You're just doing the wrong thing.  You are using a Local Texture on your objects.  As that linked article explains, Local Textures are a great resource for creators who need a way to test trial versions of their textures in world without paying an upload fee.  They are indeed temporary, but that's the point.  If you want to use a texture permanently, you need to upload it (Build >>> Upload >> Image).  It will cost you L$10 per image (about 4 cents).

BTW, as a newcomer, you should probably learn the local dialect.  We don't "spawn" anything here.  We rez things.  And we don't have "characters".  We have avatars.  :smileywink:

Welcome to Second Life.

ah, well that's rather upsetting. I suppose I'll try and find a way to earn some of the in-game currency. Thank you very much for the information!

Also i apologize for my ignorant dialect. This game is very new to me, and hopefully i'll be able to get the hang of things!

No problem at all.  We were all newbies once.

Two more bits of advice, since you opened the topic:

1.  If you have trouble figuring out where you're going to get 4 cents to pay for uploading a texture, you probably have more pressing needs for your cash.  Unless you are a fairly talented creator with some experience in SL, or are a talented performer of some kind, your chances of earning more than pocket change in SL are pretty slim.  There are very few ways to earn much money as an unskilled worker. You can take a look at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Guide_to_Jobs_in_Second_Life and you can peruse the posts in the InWorld Employment forum, but don't get your hopes too high.  By far the easiest way to get L$ is to buy them on the LindeX.  Skip lunch once a week and bring the money in world instead.  For the price of a Big Mac and fries, you can live like a prince (or maybe an earl).  This is not meant to discourage you from joining the ranks of creators.  It's just that creating in SL is much more fun if you treat it as a wonderful artistic outlet, not as a source of income. 

2.  SL is not a game.  That's a highly debated topic, with partisans strewn all across the landscape, but I think even the most invested gamers will agree that SL is primarily a creative social environment with some game-like features.  The best evidence is that our graphics and physics environment are nowhere near as good as what you will see in a real on-line game.  That's the price we pay for letting everyone have a hand in creating the world ... inefficiency, lag, low frame rate, controlled chaos, and (for many of us old-timers) a strong sense of personal ownership in the world.  Everything you see was created by residents, pixel by pixel, prim by prim. 

All of that has nothing to do with Building directly, so it's not really stuff for this forum, but it is relevant.  If you want to be a creator in SL, these are things you need to have on your radar.  Again, welcome to Second Life.  You'll enjoy it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.