looking for building school for houses and furniture

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3892 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi

I am looking for best school in 2nd life that will teach me house building from novice to expert level and furniture novice to expert level and all the scripting and other stuff goes with it .

Can anyone recommend a school ether pay or free I can do both.

tyvm

edit: i want a live Instructor not Billboards

Unless you are talking about learning to make mesh objects, building and scripting skills in SL are pretty much the same whether you are building palaces, doghouses, or a kitchen table.  You can check out class schedules at places like Builder's Brewery, NCI, or Caledon Oxbridge University to see what they are offering at the moment.  All of them usually have quite rich schedules.  If I were you, though, I would be less concerned about finding a course in How To Make X than about finding courses that introduce basic prim-handling. The fundamental tools are easy to use, so one or two hours of making a birdhouse or a bookshelf will be enough to get you started. There are some nifty tricks for making things like gabled roofs, but you'll pick those up as you need them.  When it comes right down to it, most of us may have had an occasional mentor along the way but have learned the important stuff by just practicing for a long time.

If you are really interested in building, of course, you will want to learn how to create mesh objects.  It's the only way to create good organic shapes, and it can help you build complex objects with low L.I. that you would have a hard time making with native prims alone.  To learn those 3D modeling skills, you probably do need either a boatload of video tutorials or a RL class. 

aaronkaploe3 wrote:

yes it would include mesh building so any ideas on schools for that too?

Again, try Builder's Brewery, NCI, and Caledon Oxbridge.  They usually have a few intro courses.  If you really want to learn 3D modeling properly, find a course at a local Community or Technical college, or at an adult education center.  You can't make mesh in world, so it's hard to teach the skills in an in-world class. Those of us who have not taken professional classes in RL have learned what we know from video tutorials and a LOT of trial and error. 

Blender can be somewhat overwhelming at first and a strong fundemental grasp of the basics is needed before getting into most tutorials. A good introduction to Blender is following the (free!) course material at http://www.gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html . Most importantly, doing the pdf tuts and the exercises in the course, since you won't learn the necessary keystroke shortcuts and menu locations from a video- you have to be doing them repeatedly until they become second nature.

• 4 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3892 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.