is there rain without particles

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've got nothing substantial to contribute to this thread, but I did have to chime in to say I absolutely love the title.  "Is there rain without particles?"   I feel like it should be the title of a great work by a philospher poet, or a theoretical physicist, or both.

Porky Gorky wrote:

Animated rain on layered prims is much more realistic than particles when you want rain around buildings and not in them. I've also used this effect inside buildings where I wanted it to rain inside and not out. I was building a rainforest inside an old church.

AM Radio's prim based falling snow at "The Quiet" was lovely, and did not fall inside the cabin. By being a bit creative with the particle texture and emission pattern, you can keep rain out of buildings, I've constructed an emitter that drops a "sheet" of rain in front of my house.

For those who are interested, you can see it here...

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Forgotten%20City/178/210/35

If it's not raining or snowing in front of the lighthouse, just walk inside and touch the sunset photo hanging on the wall over the workbench. That will cycle through Off/Rain/Snow.

Chosen Few wrote:

I've got nothing substantial to contribute to this thread, but I did have to chime in to say I absolutely love the title.  "Is there rain without particles?"   I feel like it should be the title of a great work by a philospher poet, or a theoretical physicist, or both.

Is the rain in Spain mainly in the euclidian plane?

animated textures would be less stressful on the sim than particles? I want to have rain on half a sim.

I use damani atm . I dont have a problem with rain inside because i can set fall length/time.( rain particle dies just before it hits the roof)

I just want a better looking rain and less lag/scripts etc.

A thought just occurred to me... 

You know how we have the nav mesh which is used to define path finding surfaces and such? Could a variant of that be used to construct an absolute collision surface which dictates where to end particle type rain?

Edit: Obviously, nothing currently exists to do this - I'm just thinking out loud about a possibe feature suggestion.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.