cannot link prims together, please help

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am building a two story building. I am doing this in a sandbox because I am doing this for someone so I need to have the group not set yet. I finished my first floor and when I go to link walls together some will link and some will not. I get a box pop up saying cannot link parts, too far,apart. Sorry, it says something like that. I also started the second floor and tried to link that to a part of the first floor that was already linked and it would not allow me to do that either. Can anyone help me with this problem I am having?   Thank you.

There are some upper limits on how far apart the centres of the prims to be linked can be, but it is actually quite large, in the order of tens of metres, unless some of the prims are very small.

Try this approach first. Get as much linked as you can. Then pick each remaining unlinked prim in turn, edit it, hold the shift key, and click on the bunch of prims already linked. You should then see a link button appear which when clicked, links the prim you first selected to the group you selected next. Doing that will allow you to spot any odd-sized or out-of-area prims that are causing the error message in your earlier attempts to grab them all in one go.

If you really do have the parts spaced too far apart to link them all, try linking all the first floor in one set, then the second floor in a second set, and make a note of the two root prim positions so you can reposition the two linksets again when re-rezzing.

As a safeguard, after linking together all the prims you think are in a link set, edit that linkset as a whole, and in the object pane add 10 metres to the Z position figure. The linkset will go up 10 metres, leaving behind it any prims you have overlooked. Go round each of these in turn, clicking on it, then the main linkset, link it in, and then check the edit linked checkbox, and shift the prim up 10 metres by adding 10 to the Z position box so it goes into the correct position with the rest of the link set.

It is often wise not to link all parts of a complex build together, but to keep them as separate unlinked units (first floor, second floor, roof.....).  That keeps your build from being unwieldy and makes it a lot easier to swap out alternative modules.  You can either box your finished product in a rez box or, if it's for your own use, mark key prims so that you can plug the parts together like Legos.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.