Using supplied baked textures on purchased sculpts

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey all.

I've been messing with building for quite some time but never really got into it, and texturing makes my brain hurt. So this is going to be difficult :P

So I bought a sculpt kit to make myself a bed. All good, easy to put together as most of you will be aware. Now this kit came with baked textures supplied (full perms). Gives it good shading and shadows in all the right places. Except its grey.

Now I've read through all the other posts on here regarding texturing sculpts, but can't tell whats relevant as I'm not exactly that good with photoshop. (I'll leave that bit to my girlfriend, though she doesn't know how to do this either.)

My question is...

How on earth do I use the bakes to create a decent looking texture myself?

I understand this is a probably a long drawn out explanation which may be well above my capabilities and knowledge, so just pointing me in the right direction to a specific tutorial would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

not really....  just dowload the baked texture file, open it in a painting program, add a layer below it, set the baked layer to to a different blend mode/opacity, and paint on the added under layer. save one copy as is, and another flattened (which you'll use to upload back to SL and can delete afterwards)

• Like 1

I suppose the provided textures are ambient occlusion maps. Then they will be correct for the isolated sculpt, but will not include the shadowing where two sculpts are close in your assembly. So you might want to add another layer on which you can darken those places too. If you want to experiment, uploading lots of textures, you can go to a sandbox on the beta grid, Aditi, where your L$ balance isn't real.

One thing I like to play with: Find a texture you like and play with the repeats on the sculpt. Say you like it best at repeats of 4 horizontal and 4 vertical on the sculpt. The in your graphics program, tile that same texture at repeats of 4 x 4, and overlay the shadow bake over it.

Also, if you only want shadows and no highlights, convert the white in the bake to alpha.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.