UV map not working on mesh correctly...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just a guess, as I don't use Maya. Have you used more than one UV map? Maybe one for applying the texture and the one shown for baking. If you export more than one map into the dae file, SL will use only one of them. So you have to remove the unwanted UV map(s) first. Do it after saving, so that you don't lose your other maps.

I can think of only three ways you could get the whole of the texture shown to show up on just the top surface of the stool.

[1] You have a single UV map in the dae file, and it's the one illustrated in your post, but you have adjusted the repeats and offsets of the texture in SL so that the whole of it appears instead of just the part that's supposed to be there.

[2] You have used Planar mapping instead of defualt mapping on the texture tab in SL.

[3] The UV map being used is not the one shown in your post, but one in which the whole UV area is occupied by the top of the stool. That is most likely to happen if the dae file carries multiple UV maps and the wrong one is chosen. It might also be that there is only one, but the wrong one.

You can find out whether your dae file has multiple maps by looking at it in a text editor and searching for all occurences of "TEXCOORD". Each of these should be in a line something linke this...

<input semantic="TEXCOORD" source="#Cube-mesh-map-0" offset="2" set="0"/>

The quoted text after "source=" (here "#Cube-mesh-map-0") is a reference to the UV map. If there are instances with differences in this text, then you have more than one map. If you search for these references without the "#", you should find for each a different <source> section, which contains the actual UV map coordinate data. In the case shown, this is ...

<source id="Cube-mesh-map-0">
....data here

<technique_common>
<accessor source="#Cube-mesh-map-0-array" count="56" stride="2">
<param name="S" type="float"/>
<param name="T" type="float"/>
</accessor>
</technique_common>
</source>

Note that the "#" is missing, which is why you have to omit it. It's just collada's way of indicating that this is a reference to somewhere else in the file.

ETA: Some readers may be confused because it is often thought that a UV map is an image. It isn't. It is simply a list of the coordinates of points in texture space that correspond to vertices and polygons* of the mesh geometry. These numbers guide the stretching of the texture over the mesh surface. They are often illustrated as an image of a distorted 2D version of the mesh mesh in the texture space, and that is often superimposed on an image of the texture to be applied, as shown in the OP. Sometimes the texture itself is referrd to as the UV map, but this can be misleading when technical issues need to be discussed.

*ETA added "and polygons"

Thank you so much for all your information.

Unfortunetaly, I tried everything. I actually recreated the UV maps from scratch, textured it from scratch again...everything. Nothing is working. I think I recall this happening to me in the past, and I can't remember what I did to fix it. Maybe just make the entire mesh again. 

It's just super annoying and so much time wasted. It should work just fine.

Don't know Maya. So you'll have to hope for an answer from a Maya user. It certainly looks like that to my ignorant eye. This kind of thing arises in Blender when you use one UV mapping to apply textures to various parts of the mesh, then another to bake the whole lot to one image. That's when both can get exported to the collada file and the wrong one may get used by SL. I would not be surprised if the same sort of thing can happen with Maya.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.