UV-Maps versus inworld texturing

Refja

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2993 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello Dear SL-Community,

I am just learning the use of 3D-Modeling Software and I am a bit irritated with the texturing.

Inside the 3D-Modeling Software I create an UV-Map, export it to, let`s say Photoshop where I apply the textures on the parts of the UV-Map.Let`s say we talk about a matress, or a table.

Advantage: I can make unique textures and, per example, the border of the object can have a different texture then the top of the object.

Disadvantage: the resolution is too low to have a crispy sharp texture inworld and I can not tile it/set repeats.

---

If I just upload the 3D-Model and texture it inside SL I can not make such individual texture which covers different parts of the model (wood + fabric + metal). I use just one wooden texture which then covers the object but at least I can set the repeats, like 4 times, so it looks crisp sharp.

Advantage and disadvantage do switch here relative to the ones mentioned above.

----------

I am unhappy with that. I would love to texture my UV-Maps inside Photoshop, making great individual textures, like the top of the table has some scratches but the borders dont have scratches - but the resolution is so bad that I have to texture them inworld..

Do I miss something or is this really the only way?

--

Then I would have another question, is it possible to set different materials to the faces of, let`s say a cube? So I can apply different textures on one object/primitive. So I can use a scratches texture for the top of my cube and a different on the sides? Like an intermediate solution for my texturing problem mentioned above? I am actually experimenting with the trial version of Maya.

If someone could explain to me how to do it best and if I recognized the limitations or if they are ways around it, that would be so great! : )

Kind Regards,

Refja

Sure you can use multiple textures on mesh, up to 8 per object....

but it would help if you could post what kind of 3d program you use, so the people using that can respond.

edit..oh you already did so...duh! I'm sure some Maya user can tell you how to set up different materials for your objects...

Hi,

I am using the trial version of Maya. I know I can use up to eight textures (materials) per object but can someone tell me how to set a material on one face of a object (better lets say primitive, like a cube, inside Maya - so I can use different UV-Maps on one primitive and get a sharper result)?

And for the texturing, I am really irritated that my textured UV-Map looks so pixeled while inworld texturing with tiling/repeating the texture makes it look sharp as a knife - is it really better to texture objects inside SL instead of making unique textures inside prof. Software?

Thanks for clearifing that to me and my apology if the question sounds stupid..

Refja

If I understand your question correctly..this video might help you.

Using repeats is always "better", your pixel density will increase without using more memory. For the best results using a single repeat (or no repeats really), make sure you use as much of the UV map as possible. If you're not sure if this might be an issue inyour case, you could post your current UV layout.

Questions don't sound stupid, well not often anyway :) The only dumb question is a question not asked they say...

Hi,

and thank you! I think that clears things up. I was just really irritated that applying textures inside SL is much better then to paint the textures on my UV-Map (using the most space i can get out of it, of course). If I can put different textures(materials) on different faces of on mesh-primitive (cube) then this solves my problem: then I will make a mixture of inworld texturing with repeats and painted UV-Maps. Still this solution seems a bit strange to me but I think it will do and bring out the desired results.

Thank you again, also for the video-link! : )

Refja

The mix between single and repeated textures is quite common in SL. I repeat or tile when I can and don't when I can't, so I mix all the time.

What would be great (and what is used in most games I suspect) is a blend map. With those you can add tons of variety using tiled textures. On the other hand, given the way a lot of SL creators use their textures (as many large textures as possible), I'm glad we don't have that option. Maybe in the future?

• 1 month later...

You can absolutely repeat your mesh textures. You just have to get creative with the sheet and planning. If you have access to Lynda.com, there is a good tutorial on making textures for games, where the instructor talks about using assets from a single texture on multiple objects. If you plan things well and make the most of the space on the texture, you can do a lot more with it that just slapping it on there and calling it a day.

Something else you can try is using extra prims to add detail. You mention wanting scratches in a table's surface. An extra prim, made transparent on 5 sides and with a largely transparent scratch texture can do wonders. Same thing with marking up a wall, creating other variations, or adding shadows to an object.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2993 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.