Turn sculptie into mesh?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3198 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am hoping someone can help me with a question. Well maybe a couple questions. If I purchase a sculpt and it has more than one piece can I create it in world then use a mesh creator tool to turn it into mesh? Will it look the same when done if all pieces are linked? Will it texture correctly since mesh has less faces for texturing? I have done Google and forum searches for an answer and could not find one so if there is already a link for this I'm sorry in advance.  Thank You

Serious important copyright issues aside, your converted model is likely to be a rather inefficient mesh with a higher L.I. than it would have if you had made the model yourself from scratch. I have no idea how the UV map is generated when you do a conversion like that, but I suspect you will need to retexure the final model to be consistent with the new map. It sounds like a fair amount of work for a product of dubious quality,  but I could be surprised.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

In world mesh creating tools don't support sculpt mat to mesh as far as I know.

Mesh Studio does actually. But it has a system that ensures you can only convert sculpt maps you've made yourself or that the creator has released for mesh converting. There is at least one external application with no such limitations but it's rather difficult to use.

But really, even if we ignore the IP issue, if you're good enough a mesh maker to clean up a sculpt-to-mesh conversion properly, you're also good enough that it's easier for you to build the mesh from scratch.

Aside from the copyright issues (and some creators apparently let folks port things with their sculpts), you CAN export via viewer tools from sculpts to mesh. However it does a horrible job. The mesh in order to be seen with any reasonable LOD needs to be uploaded at a very high  (like full) LOD setting. So that is SO not good.

In Opensim (not exactly the same platform but close enough) sims were crashing because of jewelry brought in that way. So my advice is do NOT do that. You will not have a good product (or even something for yourself that is useful).

Either learn to make mesh, make prim jewelry or find sculpt makers in the grids you want to port to. AND if this is just to turn sculpts into mesh in SL, well again a very bad plan.

• 4 weeks later...

Copyright? Lolwut?

The OP clearly bought some sculpt kit, which has the full perm sculpt maps inside. It's a creators kit, obviously you're supposed to tinker around with it. Why else would the creator provide full perm sculpt maps other than for you to be able to save them as .png's?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3198 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.