Textures with the same UUID but different creators

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2957 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is just a curiosity for the specially interested (if there are any)...

This the AF_stone_siding.tga texture from Linden Lab's Exterior Texture Bundle (found at Stillman among many other places):

Creator: Cory Ondrejka

UUID: 2f7f17d4-03a3-0abd-6bbb-08f817a00e24

This the AF_stone_siding.tga texture from Yadni Monde's April 2004 collection:

Creator: Wednesday Grimm

UUID: 2f7f17d4-03a3-0abd-6bbb-08f817a00e24

So, same texture uploaded by two different people, nothing straneg there. But they also have the same UUID - I didn't know that was even possible!

I've found quite a few such occurences of the same texture - same UUID and all - credited to two different creators. The one thing they have in common is that all the accounts credited as creators date back to the beta testing period and I suppose that's when this all happened. But does anybody have an explanation how?

the Cory Ondrejka account was renamed from Cory Linden when he left LL. as one of the company founders, he had direct database access to touch up early inventory issues.

this kind of thing is still occasionally done for Linden content. the newest starter avatars have the role account Alexandria Linden listed in inventory as creator for all the parts; but once their attachments are worn or rezzed, the actual creator for them can be seen in the editor.

• Like 2

Hmmm, much as I like the odd conspiracy theory (fave so far is still the lizard people one - gret fun) this does have a bit of a serious side. Yes I know UUIDs by their very definition have a certain probability of being reused but really? A single UUID pointing to more than one asset? In SL which probably has more assets than - fill in a large equivalent here and have heard terabytes (hi Tera) banded about.... 

I will check later as probably have both your examples in inventory somewhere or can grab them easily enough if stillman still extant. I know for a fact that everything at yadnis is somewhere buried deep from my early years.

ObviousAltIsObvious wrote:

the Cory Ondrejka account was renamed from Cory Linden when he left LL.

That's an interesting little tidbit of information, thank you! :) I always assumed Cory simply refused to use his Linden account (there actually is/was a separate Cory Linden account too), preferring to use his RL name as creator of his builds.

ObviousAltIsObvious wrote:

this kind of thing is still occasionally done for Linden content. the newest starter avatars have the role account Alexandria Linden listed in inventory as creator for all the parts; but once their attachments are worn or rezzed, the actual creator for them can be seen in the editor.

Yes. Makes me wonder how that assets database is made. Logically there would be one entry for each item, with one UUID and one creator. If two entries had the same UUID, either one would always be the one to show up or they would switch at random. But neither is the case. Makes me sympathize with the current LL programmers. Working with core code as counter intuitive as this indicates must be a nightmare! (No, that doesn't mean I'll stop complaining about their work, but I won't blame them ;) )

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2957 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.