Texture Quality Loss in GIMP

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3248 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi All,

Hopefully there is someone out there that can explain to me what I am doing wrong, or at the very least tell me 'That's the way it is' so I stop spinning in circles.

My situation is this:

1. Take any texture, does not have to be anything complex, just some simple cement for example.
  2. In GIMP use the Filter\Map\Tile feature and create a tile of three, so a 512x512 image becomes a 1536x512 image with three 'instances' of the original texture (same happens if I create a new image that is 1536x512 and copy and paste the original 3 times.
  3. If I then come into SL with the original image (512x512) and set a prim side to it, with a 3x horizontal repeat, and another same sized prim to the tiled version with1 (i.e no) repeat, the tiled version is blurred compared to the repeated version.

This as well happens if the base image was 1024 x 1024.

Any suggestions?

.... and then stretching the texture from a 2:1 to a 3:1 aspect ratio again when you apply it in world.  A pixel is still a pixel.  When you stretch one horizontally by 50%, you don't get more pixels.  You just get the same pixels, stretched to 1.5 times their upload size.  You can expect some natural blurring.  It will be less obvious if you apply the texture to smaller faces.

Wandering Soulstar wrote:

... if I create a new image that is 1536x512 and ...

Your texture size (1536 x 512) is not the size what SL supports. When you upload that one it will get sized to the nearest supported size. Therefore the image quality degrades.

Always when uploading textures be sure that the texture is sized properly. All the supported sized are listed here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Texture_sizes

PS. When uploading a texture use either TGA or PNG file.

Never use JPG file, it will cause some quality loss, and there is absolutely no advantage in using it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3248 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.