Terrain not terraforming correctly.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2868 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My terrain is acting like it is super low poly, won't flatten no matter what I do, and ripples throughout the entire sim.

This is what a full strength flatten looks like: https://gyazo.com/ac97bd7aa6a983c2f248c204eeef33a9

In action GIF: https://gyazo.com/d8811fe1a33a950148abd28ff9af178b

I once rented from someone and they seemed to do something that fixed it, but now I can't figure out how to fix this?

If you want to flatten an area, first use some other tool (Raise or Lower) to set some part of your land to the desired height. Then, set your land tool to Flatten, make it no larger than the area you have started, and slowly start working away from that spot, keeping the center of your tool over land that has already flattened to the desired height.  Begin with a fairly gentle tool until you have flattened an area that is maybe 4m square.  Then increase the size and strength of the tool if you want to.  If you are too aggressive too quickly, you will end up fighting the tool and confusing the servers.

maeglutz wrote:

In action GIF: 

Yes, that's normal behaviour for SL terrain.

The simple explanation is that the terrain file doesn't have nearly as many vertices as it seems to have. Only a few are stored and fixed, the others are interpolated  from the position of those key vertices, not just the ones nearby but all over the sim and even to some degree key vertices in neighbor sims.

This is usually not a problem if the terrain is fairly flat before you start terraforming but a steep drop like the one shown in your picture will affect the ground across the entire sim, making it much harder to control.

I don't think you can expect any kind of precision terraforming if you want to keep that steep drop but there are some techniques to make the most of it. Think of the terrain as a wrinkled curtain you need to iron out. Start in the middle and work yourself out towards the edges. Set the strength to minimum and keep switching between "Lower" and "Smoothen" - you may want to use the "Raise" and "Flatten" functions every now and then too. When those unwanted peaks elsewhere on the sim turns up, smooth them out very carefully. Try to use the Smoothen tool for that first and if that doesn't work, switch to Lower.

Alternatively, if it's a private sim and you have full editing rights, make a RAW file for the terrain shape you want and uplaod it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2868 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.