Second Life Map Copyright?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

(Due to Second Life Answers having such an awful way of displaying comments and how it handle replies, I decided ill post this question here too... where I can communicate with people and not play hide and seek. >.>

Original Second Life Answers question here.)

What I would like to know is if I am allowed to take screenshots of SLurl maps, edit and make maps out of it, and maybe sell it on the marketplace. Yes, I know NCI have made some maps, and they are good, do not get me wrong. I just want to try my hand with some Second Life mapping.

I want to make different maps of the world and continents there are in Second Life. Maybe some maps on big communities as well.

Thanks,

-Braclo

The TOS (Section 7.7) says "Linden Lab provides access to Linden In-World Content and hereby grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, limited, revocable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the Linden In-World Content solely In-World as permitted through the normal functionality of the Service and under these Terms of Service, except that photographs, images, films, and videos of Linden In-World Content may be used in other areas of and outside the Service as provided in our Snapshot and Machinima Policy. To be clear, and without limiting the foregoing, you may not use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display or perform any Linden In-World Content, whether modified by you or not, outside the virtual world environment of the Service except as provided in the Snapshot and Machinima Policy or as expressly agreed upon in a written agreement with Linden Lab. The foregoing license is referred to as a "Linden In-World Content License."   

If you look further at the Snapshot and Machinima Policy, you will find

"As long as you comply with the terms and conditions below, both Linden Lab and the Residents of Second Life (collectively, “we”) grant you the following copyright licenses:

1. A License To Capture. You may take snapshots and capture machinima of the 3D content we created that is displayed in-world, and
  2. A License To Use. You may use the resulting snapshot or machinima within or outside of Second Life in any current or future media.

“Use” means “use, reproduce, distribute, modify, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform.” For other definitions, click here.

Both the License To Capture and the License To Use (collectively, the “Licenses”) are non-exclusive and royalty-free. In addition, the License To Use is worldwide, sublicenseable, and transferable."

The "Terms and Conditions" apply only to user-created content, not to content created by LL (which is covered by point #1, above).  Because maps of SL are created by LL, my educated guess is that you are free to capture and use them.  If you are still in doubt, you might want to contact LL directly:

945 Battery Street
San Francisco, CA 94111
(415) 243-9000

I just had something removed for intellectual property violation, but it actually was not the item where I used a Second Life map as part of the object.

I expect that one might be next, though, so please consider yourself welcome to grab it for free while you still can. "Second Life as seen from Second Life's Moon."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.