Question about some softwares

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3099 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Filter Forge creates procedural textures, that is textures are generated by using a node-based editor. There are a couple of alternatives out there. I recommend Allegorithmic Substance Designer. It is superior to Filter Forge and used by professionals. It's more expensive but Allegorithmic offers some very interesting buying options. You can qualify for the cheaper Indie license and can also pay with monthly payments.

There are some things to consider before you buy such products:

- Procedural texture editors have a steep learning curve and require a good understanding of the way filters work. It helps if you have experience with Photoshop and a good understanding of how its filters work.

- Filter Forge is a Photoshop plugin. Substance Designer is a standalone program. You don't need Photoshop to create texture with Substance Designer.

- There are a bunch of video tutorials on Substance Designer. Personally, I find that videos are good but not the best way to learn. I need more of a written reference I can go back when I have a doubt and that is not easy to do with videos. Unfortunately there are no books and not much as for written documentation. Time ago I suggested to start a community-driven wiki but none exists yet.

- Don't be fooled by all the shiny stuff you see in demo videos. Not only for the Allegorithmic products but any product. You won't be able to reproduce the same effects in SL because SL doesn't support all the features required to get those results.

If you want to try something different and paint directly on your models, then take a look at Allegorithmic Substance Painter. It's really good. You can also buy both products with an Indie license and convenient monthly payments.

If you want to know more about Allegorithmic tools, I have created a community in Google+ where you can ask for info. Or, you can ask in the Allegorithmic forum.

Disclaimer: I am not associated with Allegorithmic in any way. I am just a fan of their excellent products.

Hi  Indigo

thanks a lot for your clear response .. its really helpful ..but i still looking for somthing simple like filtre forge who make filters or effects like photoshop if it exists but in the meantime i will discover  the programm you have given me.. thanks and have a good time.

I hope that other users can help me about what designers in second life usually use .

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3099 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.