Question About Finding Free Textures- Have I found them all yet?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've put together a guide to finding collections of free textures in Second Life*  I'm on Version 3 because I'm constantly finding new ones. I've listed the ones in the Library, Newcomer Island, freebie and welcome centers, Soj's Land, the four Linden Subdivisions, Molemart, Aley Mart, and The Market at Nautilus. Yesterday I found out that there are two places in Bay City that have collections of textures appropriate for that community.

It seems as if when the Linden Moles created new lands they often provided textures for the people who were moving in. My question is, when they created Zindra did they make textures for that continent? If so, where could I find them?

Also, if anyone knows of a place I've missed I'd appreciate the information.

*(for sale on the marketplace but you can see it for free, without landmarks, at http://wartybliggensthetoad.blogspot.com under the May entries.)

OK - let me answer my alt's question. There is a collection of free materials (houses, building components, art, textures, etc...) at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Mosh/116/71/31

Hope this information will help someone else. Although there were parts of Zindra I enjoyed - the monorail, the video phones, and many of the builds, a lot of it was just too....bare....for me.

Awww, the ZIndra collection was supposed to be a secret!!! :P

Anyway, you seems to have missed the biggest collection of official LL textures, the one at Stillman. There may be a few at Nix too, can't remember for sure.

As for non-LL free textures, you should be very, very careful. There is a lot of genuinely free textures around but also lots of pirated copies of commercial ones.

ChinRey wrote:

Awww, the ZIndra collection was supposed to be a secret!!!
:P

Anyway, you seems to have missed the biggest collection of official LL textures, the one at Stillman. There may be a few at Nix too, can't remember for sure.

As for non-LL free textures, you should be very, very careful. There is a lot of genuinely free textures around but also lots of pirated copies of commercial ones.

Thank you! I will double-check to make sure that I have Stillman and Nix on my list.

I started this collection for myself back when I couldn't make heads or tails of some commercial texture's permissions. Right now I have so many that I haven't finished cataloging them.

I am not aware of having bought any pirated textures, but I have seen some of the free textures for Shareta Osumai offered as "free asian textures" on the marketplace, I guess to get people to visit their stores. I've also seen other 'freebies' for sale at a store I will refer to as "F.G." I complained about it, but nothing was done.

The problem is that comnmercial textures must be full perm and unfortunately over the years many builders have been a bit thoughtless about sharing them with friends who again shared them with their friends and so on. There are lots of genuine good (and even more genuine not-very-good) freebie textures all over Second Life but it can often be very hard to determine which are legit and which aren't. BUt here are a few places with confirmed legal freebie textures:

Denise Unicorn

FairChange Calypso

The Linda Kellie Collection at Coniston

There are others too of course. I'll se if I can remember more. Ubnfortunately you just missed one of the msot important sources of freebie textures, Yadni's Junkyard. It closed down less than a week ago.

The University of North Carolina used to have a nice collection of old freebie textures too but then somebody there must have discovered they had forgotten to cancel their SL bill all those years ago. The campus was abandoned in January.

ChinRey wrote:

The problem is that comnmercial textures must be full perm and unfortunately over the years many builders have been a bit thoughtless about sharing them with friends who again shared them with their friends and so on. There are lots of genuine good (and even more genuine not-very-good) freebie textures all over Second Life but it can often be very hard to determine which are legit and which aren't. BUt here are a few places with confirmed legal freebie textures:

There are others too of course. I'll se if I can remember more. Ubnfortunately you just missed one of the msot important sources of freebie textures, Yadni's Junkyard. It closed down less than a week ago.

The University of North Carolina used to have a nice collection of old freebie textures too but then somebody there must have discovered they had forgotten to cancel their SL bill all those years ago. The campus was abandoned in January.

No Yadni's? (sound of quiet sobbing) But - much obliged for the new links - looks like I will spend my day off re-doing everything - and mourning Yadni's. 

Any idea if Stillman/Nix is in danger? 

Rufferto wrote:

No Yadni's? (sound of quiet sobbing)

I'm afraid so.

One question now is what happens to free textures and other content exclusive to a place that has closed down? Both Yadni's and UNCP had quite a few textures not found anywhere else.

Rufferto wrote:

Any idea if Stillman/Nix is in danger? 

Those are places run by Linden Lab. It's not very likely they'll clsoe those down unless Mainland becomes crowded and they need the land for something else. ;)

Nefertiti Nefarious wrote:

There are also the Torley Linden collections - I have one or two of them on my parcel as freebies.

The entire Torley collection is at Stillman along with all of Cory Ondrejika's AF textures and lots of textures submitted by residents.

Nefertiti Nefarious wrote:

I probably have every free texture Yadni's junkyard provided.

Yes but do we have the right to redistribute them? Oh, the ones in Yadni's own boxes should be good. BUt a few texture makers placed samples of their works there after Yadni stopped updating himself. These packages were made by their creators specifically for the Junkyard and I'm not sure if we're supposed to redisribute them.

ChinRey wrote:

Completely forgot to mention three important free texture places:

Thank you! I will add these to my next update. I also recently found a free texture-giver on Hobo Island.

As for re-distributing them, my idea was that these could be used by residents on their own builds. If someone finds a texture at one of the sites that aren't really full perm, please let me know.  I would also check with the original creator before putting any of these textures on an item to be sold or given away - it's only fair.

Rufferto wrote:

Thank you! I will add these to my next update. I also recently found a free texture-giver on Hobo Island.

Nice ^_^

I suppose you've realized by now that cataloging free texture sites in SL is a never-ending task. ;)

Rufferto wrote:

As for re-distributing them, my idea was that these could be used by residents on their own builds. If someone finds a texture at one of the sites that aren't really full perm, please let me know.

I'm sure the textures on the sites we've discussed so far are perfectly legal that way. There are quite a few sites I've decided not to mention because they don't seem to be safe though.

BUt my concern was the textures donated by their creators to sites that no longer exist. Are these textures off limit to those who didn't find them in time or can they now be redistributed?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.