Q about Projector Lights

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK ...... Serious thought, unencumbered by  knowing what your build looks like ... could you turn the projector upside down and put it in the floor, pointing up?  If it were sufficiently diffuse and broad, the light might add to the room's ambient light and maybe(?) not cast wierd shadows.

Apologies if this is a 'yeah, duh..' type comment, but have you got your shadow settings covering projector lights? In the official viewer, you have 'none', 'sun/moon', and 'sun/moon and projectors' settings.

If that's nto the problem, projector lights do have an 'ambient' light value which works just like a regular light (ie: not casting shadows).

Rolig Loon wrote:

OK ...... Serious thought, unencumbered by  knowing what your build looks like ... could you turn the projector upside down and put it in the floor, pointing up?  If it were sufficiently diffuse and broad, the light might add to the room's ambient light and maybe(?) not cast wierd shadows.

Now this is why I love smart people!  It worked! :matte-motes-big-grin:

IvanBenjammin wrote:

Apologies if this is a 'yeah, duh..' type comment, but have you got your shadow settings covering projector lights? In the official viewer, you have 'none', 'sun/moon', and 'sun/moon and projectors' settings.

If that's nto the problem, projector lights do have an 'ambient' light value which works just like a regular light (ie: not casting shadows).

Well the odd thing is I have shadows turned off, but the projector still works, which the LL guide says it will not. it might work correctly with shadows enabled but I can have it looking wrong without shadows on.

Rolig Loon wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

... and then I looked up at the 2nd story ceiling.  :matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

There's a lesson in here somewhere, Pam.

It is always the same lesson: When your round peg will not go in the square hole, get a bigger hammer.

(I figured out a way to do it without projectors!)

I often use projector lights. You need advanced lighting on to see them. They can have a huge effect on materials when shining on a surface at a low angle.

Like every light in SL they shine through prims.

To prevent that you need to have shadows on. Well it's SL so it doesnt work 100% but it dampens the shine-through-effect alot. :D
The rest you do by clever placement and an adjusted light radius.

Projector lights can cast shadows and it's pretty cool if you walk through the light and see your shadow at the wall or floor or whatever.
They will not show a visible light cone even with fog (in windlight). They draw a light cone/circle/square/every pattern on a prim though. You can adjust the focus of the projector so its up to you if the margins are blurry or sharp.

The problem here is not just that the light passes through walls, but that the projector light appears on both sides of the wall or floor -- it appears on the floor as well as the ceiling below. Or in the case of putting it under the floor and pointing it up, the light appears on the floor and the ceiling above. The controls can fade the light on the ceiling if it is far enough away but not enough to eliminate it.

Sunlight, otoh, passes through walls but only casts light on the side facing the sun. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.