Need help applying textures to clothing

MizKT

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2636 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay so I'm trying to get a bit more creative about second life, so I decided to start simple and learn about texturing and do some experiments.
I created my own texture 512x512 in gimp and applied it to a prim.

So far so good, as you can see it's intended to be a leather texture. When I apply this texture to an item of clothing however all definition is lost.
What am I doing wrong? How do I make the pattern on the item of clothing more clearly defined like it is on the prim? 

The simple answer is that you can change the SCALE of the texture on the garment. You can use any of the three slots marked in red in this photo.

The ACTUAL answer is that when you buy a full perm garment template it almost always comes with an ambient map (or several) and perhaps a UV map. You put your texture on top of the UV map and then use the MULTIPLY feature in your graphics software to blend the two textures into one pretty texture with leather (in your case) AND shadows.

• Like 2

Thanks for that, that's exactly the type of answer I was looking for, it seems there's a lot more to do and no idea how to do it. 

I have, in no particular order: 1) outfit AO bake 2) outfit shadow bake 3) outfit texture 4) outfit UVmap

And then I have the same again for additional patches of this piece of clothing.

Any helpful tips on how to begin would be greatly appreciated. I guess what I'm asking is can anyone recommend a good beginner's guide to texturing in second life? 

Hi there Im new to Gimp and am having a difficult time getting my textures to overlay on my shadow maps for my GV templates. I soent all day texturing templates For a crop top I purchased from Creative Studio without Issue. Im following the same steps as I had for that shadow map its just not showing up as anything. Ive tried 3 different maps all GV and all giving me the same issue...after overlaying a texture the map still appears white....HELP PLEASE!!!

When you have a specific issue, and Google turns up nothing, the forums are a good place to ask. People are very helpful. But if what you need is a complete tutorial, I would start with a search of YouTube. Include the word beginner in your search and you should find something appropriate.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2636 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.