Need Help With a Prim I Cannot Access SOLVED

zyluna

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

While building today, I found that my neighbour had extended an object quite significantly onto my waterland.  I de-render all the properties objects around me, so that I have my own personal ocean view on every side.  So I was surprised when I could not "find" the object that blocked me from nearly 1/4 of my land on one side.  I know that if I de-render an object that it is still there and my viewer cannot see it.  My neightbour is a small nightclub and they frequently redo their property into themes.  I believe that what is encroaching my property is some sort of platform or base that I derender at some point but they later moved it further onto my property.  I found another object down on my sea bed from them and was able to return it.

But I cannot find this elusive object and it is driving me crazy.  What I have tried is bring in an alt who has never derendered anything and have them try and find it...perhaps get the name of it so I could take it off my asset black list and return it.  I tried having the alt use the advance menu and hightlight the invisisble, but nothing showed.  As a last resort I went to my asset blacklist and removed anything that had a name such as object or platform...etc.  I logged off and back on and still....the object is invisible.  I could try and take everything off the asset black list but that is a lot of work and I am thinking my alt would have already served that purpose.  The length is exactly the length of the night club property and I can stand on it...seems to be a platform.  I also tried using my search for anything within 10 meters, but only my own objects showed. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

If it were me, I'd try using a viewer that doesn't retain a list of derendered objects, but you already tried using an alt, so that should have had the same effect. 

Does the neighboring parcel have "privacy" set? I mean the setting in About Land options about other parcels being able to see and hear inside. If that's set, and if somebody is seated on an object, I think that object will be pretty hard to see even if it encroaches onto your land.

Another possibility might be a monstrous huge megaprim carved in such a way that it's blocking your passage but the object's 0,0,0 origin is outside your draw distance, like way up in the sky or somewhere. (It certainly could be more than 10m away, the depth you said you searched, which is based on object origin not nearest point.)

Hmm. Couple other things come to mind. First, "highlight transparent" will not show surfaces with full-alpha textures (that's in contrast to surfaces set to 100% transparent, which it definitely will highlight). And second, a mesh can have a very different physics model from its visible shape, so that could be confusing. Either way, I think maybe a script that detects collision events would identify the object with which you're colliding, and get details about it like ownership, exact position and rotation, etc. Probably somebody has such a script off the shelf, but worst case, I could hack something up if nothing else solves the mystery.

Thank you for your suggestions, I was finally able to find it.  I used an alt to check and she almost missed it too, it was beach waves and the shadow was going across my lower platform.  It did not show on highlighting because I was looking below the water surface and just above it.  So I was able to get the name of the object, re-render it and return.  Whew.  Smiling.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.