Mystery doorway blockage

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2884 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

No its not the usual convex hull blockage. 

The doorway is made of linked meshes, not a single joined mesh:

https://slm-assets2.secondlife.com/assets/13203157/lightbox/Screenshot_(121).jpg?1453143596

The customer says she can walk through the front doorway but her husband cannot, though he can walk through all the other doorways.

I have had no other similar reports. I told her to have him detach everything and try walking through but they did not want to do that . Can think of nothing,

Hard to tell as there are no avatars for scale but is it possible he is just too tall?

I noted that a tallish avatar fellow had difficulty walking through a door in my home (I didn't make it) but got through on the second try. So it SEEMS like an avatar needs a bit of extra "air" headroom to make it though the doorway.

If it is the SAME doorway the rest of the house uses then that isn't it obviously.

AND if he can walk through the others wearing what he is wearing, then unlikely that is the issue.

Could that large doorway header be a bit lower on this door than on the others?

That's all I can think of.

• Like 1

Chic Aeon wrote:

Hard to tell as there are no avatars for scale but is it possible he is just too tall?

With unanalyzed physics it's actually possible to make a doorway tall avis can walk in through but not out again. Perfect if you want to keep your man at home! :D

I did some quick tests with a prim and a max height female avatar. At 2.25 m I could sometimes get under the prim, sometimes not - depending on exactly where in the step I was when I hit it. I got stuck with anything lower than 2.25 m and had no problems at all with anything higher. Even considering there are a few unknown variables nine feet shuold be more than enough doorway height for any avatar.

Of course there may be differences between the visual and physics model (and differences between the displayed and the actual phsyics model too) but I suppose you've checked that so the most plausible explanation is that there is some rouge physics going on right where the doorway is. I've seen that happen before actually but it was always temporary and easy to fix simply by moving the house a meter or two to the side anyway.

Pamela Galli wrote:

I wonder if the maximum male avi is any taller. Not inworld atm to see.

You could try using one yourself. We promise not to tell ;) Shoes, or rather shoe bases can add quite a bit to the avatar height too btw.

But really, nine feet should be more than enough. It's more than I use and I've never heard of anybody getting stuck in my doorways (don't ask me about stairwells though ... but I fixed those too!)

I measured that problematic doorway and also found out the heighth of my avatar friend.

He is 2.28 meters in the shape menu. The doorway that was an issue (other taller ones were fine) is 2.5 meters and again he DID get through the door but took a couple of tries.

I have a guy avatar that is much taller and I am sure he wouldn't make it. So there IS something to say about making those doorways a bit bigger than "real life". The folks that propose that are evidently not building for the masses :D.  

Ironically, this house is one of my more RL scale ones.  I put this information in the advertising/NC/ Listing to warn people that they should try before buying (and I suppose I should add, "and have everyone you might ever invite over try as well").

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2884 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.