Light through wall?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I'm working on a mesh house and I noticed that the sunlight comes through the bottom of the wall just a little at some spots. This only happens at sunset on the house but the walls meet on the same vertices so in theory they wouldn't let line shine penetrate. Is there a fix for this, something I'm overlooking, or just an advanced lighting issue in sl?

LightIssue_001.png

Thanks

I've noticed this effect as well. I think it's just due to the renderer interpreting any space, no matter how small a gap it may be, to be a place where light could get through. I have handled such cases by abandoning realism and just making overlaps in the mesh. In your case I would simply have the walls protrude slightly into the floor.

I thought about that and dragged the wall down a bit and it didn't change the effect. The only thing I did to get it to work is throw a prim box outside there like an awning to see if it would block the light. That wouldn't quite work well in the build though.

I have noticed it too and found

• The LOD or viewing distance influence this effect, move in close and the shadow looks right
  • Thicker walls makes a better shadow

I conclude it is a rendering caveat and I am sure it is something that will improve over time because it is a well known phenomenon to everybody including Linden Lab and because shadows have been improved several time since they were introduced

:smileysurprised::):smileyvery-happy:

I agree thicker walls work better on shadow. I setup an experiment with a box prim and a thicker one as an awning as before works to block it but a thin one does not. The interesting part was it does block it by the time it is 0.25m thick which is the thickness of my walls.

Thick_005.pngThin_002.png

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.