Keyboard Jungle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2790 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The problem that you have there is that just about nobody would do that because it's ridiculously slow and tedious.

What I did was spend a weekend learning UI and keyboard shortcuts.  After that it all became pretty straightforward but I do understand your reason for asking but I doubt you'll find what you're looking for.

Tutorial or not, if I want to size something, i'm just going to press S and not go through menus, same for G for grab and so on.

Each of the common editing shortcuts keys is found on the menu anyway and usually what you see people do is maybe two more things after.  A letter and a number.

For example SY10 is going to S(ize) in the Y-axis, factor of 10.  SZ5, Size Z-axis by 5 (negative numbers will shrink)

GX G(rab) and only allow movement in the X-axis.

Spend a weekend, it's worth it.

No. Blender tutorials are shortcut-key-centric and is far superior to using menus.

However, if you want to use menus, Maya is possibly software you could consider. The software features 8-10 ways of doing the same thing, with multiple menus, docks, windows, panels, and toolboxes that allow you to do the simplest of things - but in 5 steps or more for each action.

Most Maya tutorials are menu-centric - they seem to love opening up 5 options in order to do the simplest of actions.

Compare how long it takes to add 3 loop cuts to a cube in Blender, vs 3 balanced loop cuts in Maya. Now add 1 loop cut and slide with it on a cube - but try to do the same in Maya without having to open up the options box and resetting it back to 1 and make sure the loop is centered too.

Most Maya tutorials are menu-centric - they seem to love opening up 5 options in order to do the simplest of actions.

Compare how long it takes to add 3 loop cuts to a cube in Blender, vs 3 balanced loop cuts in Maya. Now add 1 loop cut and slide with it on a cube - but try to do the same in Maya without having to open up the options box and resetting it back to 1 and make sure the loop is centered too.

That's some pretty strong anti-maya sentiment. What did Maya do to you? ;)

I'm not trying to get into a software debate with you, because at the end of the day we're carpenters arguing about hammers; But for the record, I can do what you suggest in about 5 seconds in Maya.

Sorry, this was too the OP. I never seem to hit the correct REPLY button :(

I saw this thread earlier but didn't comment because ---  well learning the key combos are NECESSARY in Blender. I am a mouse gal and it was VERY painful but I persevered and eventually remembered most of the often used ones.

And yes, if you are going to use Blender you really need to bite the bullet and just learn them over time. It takes awhile.

In all the video tutorials I have watched I have only seen ONE person use the menu options without key combos. That tells ya something. 

Sorry.

IvanBenjammin wrote:

Then I guess you win whatever contest we were having...

Technically, you made a challenge, so I answered it. Don't worry, Maya is clearly the industry standard, so you win by default.

The op wants to use menus, well Maya is heavy on the use of them - she should explore Maya tutorials.

The op doesn't want to learn shortcuts - then stay away from Blender tutorials - shortcuts are taught and used from day one.

I knew I would temp debate by even mentioning the differences in using Maya vs Blender, but it was in the context of the desires of the OP.

entity0x wrote:

IvanBenjammin wrote:

Then I guess you win whatever contest we were having...

Technically, you made a challenge, so I answered it. Don't worry, Maya is clearly the industry standard, so you win by default.

The op wants to use menus, well Maya is heavy on the use of them - she should explore Maya tutorials.

The op doesn't want to learn shortcuts - then stay away from Blender tutorials - shortcuts are taught and used from day one.

I knew I would temp debate by even mentioning the differences in using Maya vs Blender, but it was in the context of the desires of the OP.

I really wasn't trying to start a debate or challenge, though I can see in retrospect that what I said might've been seen as contentious. The wording of your post suggested that Maya was slow and awkward to use, so that's why I felt the need to point out that it wasn't.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2790 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.