Issue with texturing mesh...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all,

Im having some issues with texturing my mesh hair, I have two photos here to show you my problem

Basically when it's rezzed on the ground you can see the 'hair wisps' which is obviously an alpha image, set to alpha blending, however, when I wear the build, as you can see from the image, that 'hair wisp' layer just vanishes.

I have ruled out an issue with my avi by wearing other hairs with these 'wisps' on them, and they all work fine. I'm not sure what the problem is.

Im using Firestorm, and everything runs at max, unless I'm in a heavily populated sim, or I'm running numerous programs, then its just one notch down from max. So I'm not sure it's a graphical error, here are the details :)

Firestorm 4.7.3 (47323) Aug 18 2015 03:46:39 (Firestorm-Releasex64) with OpenSimulator support
Release Notes

CPU: Intel® Core i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz (3292.56 MHz)
Memory: 8124 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 64-bit (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 660/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.4752
OpenGL Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 347.52

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.38.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1i zlib/1.2.8
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.6
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.56
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Phoenix
Viewer Skin: Latency (beta) (Extra Plain)
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 256 m
Bandwidth: 550 kbit/s
LOD factor: 3
Render quality: Ultra (7/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: Yes
Texture memory: 1024 MB (1)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): 2015-10-19T1:14:58
Built with MSVC version 1800

We worked out inworld what was causing it in Arianna's case.

She was rezzing her rigged hair, shift copying it, resizing the copy to be slightly larger & texturing the smaller copy with the non-alpha texture and texturing the larger copy with the alpha texture. Then linking both meshes with the smaller solid textured mesh inside the larger alpha textured mesh.

Of course the hair is rigged so when worn, both meshes snapped to the same size & goodbye wispy bits.

We both kinda facepalmed :smileywink:

Ariannatheprincess wrote:

Id still like to know how to fix this though

As awesome it was to figure out why it was doing this. Doesn't quite fix my predicament

The only answer I'm afraid is to make and import the larger alpha and the smaller non alpha version separately with different rigging.

(Edit)

On second thought, you may be able to do something with alpha masking to cout off the unwanted parts of the "non alpha" hair.

I'll try out different rigging with them see if that helps.

Whirly Fizzle and I tried a lot of different things with the alpha mapping of it nothing seemed to work :/ so i doubt that messing about with the texturing inworld will help, must be in the rigging as you say,

one thing i noticed through this, is on inspection of hairs that i have bought from the MP, is that, many hair designers seem to upload their mesh strand by strand. Tbh I'm far to impatient, lazy and under educated in 3d modelling to do this, but, if the different rigging approach as you have suggested does not work I will try that.

I tell you, if I figure this out, I am totally uploading tutorials for people, there doesnt really seem to be any decent ones!

thanks

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.