Invisible house on empty lot; how can that be?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2861 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is just an odd thing that happened, and I couldn't think of a better place to ask about it, so here goes:

I live in a nearly vacant sim, but people are moving in. However, I'm used to tromping around on the adjacent vacant lots, dreaming about getting a bigger island than the one I currently rent. 

The other day, I double-click-teleported next door to a lot I'd tramped over many times before, one that has no visible objects on it and says it allows public access, (it isn't as if I was deliberately snooping). Imagine my surprise when I found myself inside a house, in someone's bed, with a security orb hysterically threatening not only to eject me, but to tell the "owners" the name of the barbarian who had just invaded their land.

How is that even possible? "Highlighting invisible" shows nothing, and nothing else I do makes a house, or anything else, for that matter, appear on the lot. Land impact, (after my orb scare I checked ), shows a couple of hundred objects on the land, but there's nothing visible to the viewer's eye. It's just a bald ass island with basic green ground texture and zilch.

Note: fear not, I learned my lesson after being scolded by the orb, and won't set finger or toe on That chunk of real estate again, although I'm tempted to repeat the experience to see if I only imagined it.

My best guess is that you don't see anything on the ground because there isn't anything there.  The new owner has made home in a skybox and has set a landing point there.  You teleported in and were sent immediately to the skybox.  The owner hasn't set ban lines because they wouldn't make any difference in a skybox anyway.  The parcel still shows public access, therefore, but he has a robust security orb that's doing the watchdog job.

That security system clearly gives you a few seconds warning.  If you're still curious, walk or fly across the parcel boundary.  I think you'll find that the security orb doesn't even notice you, because you aren't close to the skybox.  (I could be wrong, if the orb is more complex than I give it credit for.  It might be using llGetAgentList and llOverMyLand rather than a simple sensor.  Still, you can leave quickly enough before it nails you.)

• Like 1

Yep, you were right. Walked all over the land, then flew up, over 3000 meters, and got ejected by the orb when I object profiled the skybox, (I was flying over my own property at the time, too), lol. 

Nothing like a seriously threatening security orb to induce curiosity.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2861 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.