Intellectual Property Rights

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There was a thread recently that has been taken down. It was concerning the "rightness" of copying works from the web via Google's handy search engine and using them in works for SL.   There was a lot of good info on that thread even though the OP didn't seem to be happy with our answers and indeed sent some fairly nasty flaming IMs to me inworld. She apparently liked Chin so that's a plus I guess. LOL

Anyway, by ACCIDENT while signing up for an event (see I can still use caps if I want to sweetie) I found this very easy to read document wihich pretty much spells things out. 

For those interested here is the link:

https://slhomeandgardenexpo.wordpress.com/exhibitors-2/intellectual-property/

I do NOT go gently into the night :D.

I must have missed the ending but yes - was a little annoyed about the accusations in there so checked the textures I made for my skirts. Then realised that possibly the fact they are meant to be a continuation of armour over drive wheels it was not worth joining in. Apart from the fact that I made them I suppose :)

At which point having read the profile in world I went back to the forge. And made a skirt... well kilt. I hope rivets are OK

Chic Aeon wrote:

There was a thread recently that has been taken down. It was concerning the "rightness" of copying works from the web via Google's handy search engine and using them in works for SL.   

And IT was a GREAT discussion that SHOULD have STAYED so that it can HELP SO MANY people STAY ETHICAL....

((because Ethics will TRUMP the law any day of the year))

ChinRey wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

A shame one person in a thread can get a useful discussion deleted. :womanfrustrated:

Yes but the article Chic found sums it all up really well so no real harm done in the end.

True, but then this is a forum not a wiki. But a small price to pay for the deletion of the annoying crybaby whine.

I missed when it got juicy......all I saw was "deleted, deleted, deleted." 

But because the OP had asked about Creative Commons I'm posting two more links.  Have to do two because for some reason they left CC0 off of the first.

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/

https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/public-domain/cc0/

Pamela Galli wrote:

True, but then this is a forum not a wiki.

Awww, you gave me this wonderful vision: What if somebody compiled all the great information hidden in old threads on this forum into something as revolutionary new as a functional manual for SL content creators?

I know, I know, I know ... but I can dream, can't I?

I actually missed the drama at the end (I am assuming there was some from the flaming IMs) too. Apparently the rebuttle that I made stating that  I was sure not ALL content creators use illegal textures as the OP insisted got a bit of backup as also apparently "I" opened a can of worms and there were most posts on that thread. I can only assume it got nasty. Not clear really who deleted the thread and yes there were some good points in there and most folks were being very helpful :D.

All in a day on the forums. 

ChinRey wrote:

Awww, you gave me this wonderful vision: What if somebody compiled all the great information hidden in old threads on this forum into something as revolutionary new as a functional manual for SL content creators?

I know, I know, I know ... but I can dream, can't I?

Hehe, you know as well as I do, that depending on exactly who finagled their way onto the selection committee, that the new SL User Manual would have a generous share of stuff about mini-continents that don't exist, the importance of slapping voting booths at places you like, and how anything over 1000m up simply does not cause lag at all ever, no matter how badly it's made, and how it is absolutely essential to clear your cache every week right after humpday worship at the Temple of Phil...

Chic Aeon wrote:

I actually missed the drama at the end (I am assuming there was some from the flaming IMs) too. Apparently the rebuttle that I made stating that  I was sure not ALL content creators use illegal textures as the OP insisted got a bit of backup as also apparently "I" opened a can of worms and there were most posts on that thread. I can only assume it got nasty. Not clear really who deleted the thread and yes there were some good points in there and most folks were being very helpful
:D

All in a day on the forums. 

It was the usual: someone asks for help, doesn't like the answers, insults the helpers and all SL creators. Rinse repeat. Oh and you used caps.

Big flounce. Deleted flounce, returned. 

Pamela Galli wrote:

[ .... ]

It was the usual: someone asks for help, doesn't like the answers, insults the helpers and all SL creators. Rinse repeat. Oh and you used caps.

Big flounce. Deleted flounce, returned. 

Yes.  I didn't even bother to get involved in that one.  There was some valuable discussion, but the OP clearly had an agenda and was more interested in whining and trolling than in a constructive discussion.  Sometimes it's not worth investing energy in a frustrating tug of war.

Rolig Loon wrote:

Yes.  I didn't even bother to get involved in that one.  There was some valuable discussion, but the OP clearly had an agenda and was more interested in whining and trolling than in a constructive discussion.  Sometimes it's not worth investing energy in a frustrating tug of war.

I can kind of see why the OP went a bit intense at the end... It was ok for those who have read articles or have personal knowledge of IP/Copywrite issues, but for somebody who just wanted to know what they could use as textures on stuff, it did come across a bit like...

The Venerable Yorgi from "The Name of the Rose" wrote : "There is no such thing as the search for new knowledge Intellectual Property, all that can be known copywrited, is already known copywrited, there is only sublime recapitulation! You may not use anything ever to create in SL!"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.