How to prevent camera indoors going through walls?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3252 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What I'm trying to do here is place a basement under my home.  I guess I learned the hard away you cannot put structure below ground level.  This means I have to skybox it.  The problem is when you're in tight areas and moving around the camera moves outside the wall.  So it kinda sucks because you see everything that is outside. Is there a way besides "First person view" to keep the camera going outside of walls when walking indoors?  Is this a building issue or avatar issue or SL issue?

"Disable Camera Constraints" simply decouples the camera position from the draw distance. When camera constraints are on, you can't move the camera more than DD meters away from your avatar position. At even the lowest DD with constraints on, you'll still be able to cam beyond the walls of a small structure. With constraints off, you can move the camera well beyond the draw distance. I find this very handy when shopping, as I don't have to move my avatar around the store, I just move the camera. And camera position is indepentent from zoom out distance, which is also related to draw distance. So with a DD of 32, you can move the camera 32 meters from the avatar and zoom yet another 32 meters farther away.

When you walk about SL, the camera follows you in its default position, which can be edited. If you move into a space where something will come between the camera and your avatar, the viewer will attempt to move the camera closer to the avatar to maintain an unobstructed line-of-sight. Phantom prims are not detected by the camera, so make sure you don't have any phantom walls in your structure. If you do, the camera will maintain default position, which may well be outside the wall.

I'm able to successfully navigate into small spaces. The camera moves when necessary. It is possible to create spaces so small that the camera can't track, but there's nothing you can do about that, except make the space bigger.

ETA: Here are some links that discuss editing the camera offsets...

If you have the ability to terraform you can have a basement. Make your walls thick enough so that the ground doesn't "bleed" through.

If you make your buildings large enough so that you don't need to walk close to  the walls to go upstairs you will have no issues seeing through the walls. That is one reason buildings are "oversized" in virtual worlds.

It is all about working around what is inevitable.

You can only terraform deeply if you aren't on mainland. Mainland you can only terraform +/- 4 meters from the default height of the land. That being said, you can also have stairs that take you up to your main level and have your "basement" as the foundation of the house. I've had several houses that have used that option. In fact, I've taken off the upper part of the house and kept the bottom layer because it had nice fountains I wanted to keep for the landscaping aspect.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3252 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.