How to make a prim for a skirt

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3778 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It all depends on what you want your skirt to look like, so there's no formula to follow. Watch THIS VIDEO by the amazing Torley Linden to see how to make a flexi prim if you have never done it.

Most of the time, you'll want to start with a cylinder. I have used cubes too, for pleated skirts. I tend to start without being very careful about the length or proportions of the prim, because I always change my mind as I work anyway. 

A flexi prim is always attached at its -Z (that is, DOWN) end and it's flexible at the other end, so whatever shape you choose will be upside down from the way you want to use it in a skirt.  Give the prim a negative taper in both X and Y, so that it is pointy end down.

How much taper?  You choose.  You'll want to bury the pointy end inside the avatar body when you make the skirt, so the amount of taper is partly a matter of how deep you need to bury it.  It's also a matter of how many prim panels you're using and how flared your skirt will be.

You may want to cut the prim, or not.  Again, it all depends on what sort of skirt you're making. Uncut prims make nice, full petticoats, especially if you overlap them a lot.  Prims that are cut about halfway around are great for more wispy skirts, or for miniskirts that need a big flare.

The real trick is choosing the flexi parameters, and that's really a matter of practice and experimentation. Personally, I avoid using a wind setting higher than 0.5, and I only use that on light, gauze-like fabrics for things like overskirts.  Otherwise, a skirt tends to have a mind of its own.  I also like to use a gravity setting of about 4.0, again to keep the skirt from flying away too much as I move. The rest is really a matter of deciding how you want the skirt to bounce or flow.  The same flexi settings will look very different on a short skirt than a long one, or on a skirt with 20 panels instead of 12.  I recommend that you make a pile of practice skirts and just start playing with flexi to see what happens.  Even after 4 years of doing this, I still discover neat combinations that do fascinating things with a novel skirt design.

• Like 2

as well as the excellent answers given some designers sell full perm flexi skirt maker kits on the marketplace these include a blank ready made skirt(s) they're designed for you to texture and sell in your creations but there's no reason why you can't use them as a learning resource there's also a tool called LoopRez that automatically rezzes a flexi prim skirt on touch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3778 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.