How to make a Prim Panel for a Skirt?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3229 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ive been searching everywhere but I cant find anything about this, maybe im not wording it right, im not sure.

If someone could please guide me to any turtorials on how to build a Prim panel for a skirt as im new to building and need help with this

Thank you :3

There are many, many ways to make panels.  It all depends on what you want your skirt to look like.  There are only a couple of things to remember:

1.  A flexi prim is flexible from its own -Z end.  That is, the negative end of the prim's Z axis is its attachment point.  It "waves" from that end.

2. Skirt panels are generally narrow at the top and wide toward the hem, so you need to turn your flexi prim upside down.

3. It's a whole lot easier to work with prims before you make them flexi than afterwards.

Other than that, the sky's the limit. 

One common way to make a soft looking skirt is to rez a cylinder, taper it toward the -Z end, flatten it along one of the other axes (X or Y), make it hollow, and then cut away about 40% of its diameter.  Depending on how flat you made the prim and how big it is at the bottom, you either have a skinny, pencil-like panel or a broad one.  You can experiment with all sorts of variations, and then try making skirts that have 12, 18, 24, 30 overlapping panels or more.

If you want to make a pleated skirt, try making a tall cube prim, tapering it toward the -Z end, twisting it 45 degrees, and then hollowing and cutting it the same way you did with the cylinder.  You'll end up with a panel that has two sides with a sharp crease between them.  Again, experiment with variations.

The real fun with flexi comes when you play with the Flexi features. You'll usually want to make a skirt panel as flexible as possible, so a setting of 3 there.  You'll also want to be very conservative with wind.  A little goes a long way.  Give it enough gravity so that the skirt doesn't rise gently and hang over your head.  Then just play.

Try making skirts that have more than one layer with subtlely different flexi properties or panel types, so they cut through each other and are visible at different times as you walk.  Or maybe different lengths, like a petticoat under a fluffy skirt.

Hi hun :)

Thank you for getting back to me on this!

This is very useful to me as in the future I do want to make a flexi prim skirt so thank you for your advice there

I did need advice tho in making a prim panel for a skirt that wasn't flexi but to cover the gap between the thighs/legs to make a short skirt for my avi. I was just wondering the best method or way to be able to do this, or if there was any pointers, tips or tutorials I could refer to when making this as im new to building.

My apologise for not stating that in the beginning, I was rushed for time

Ah, well ....  Frankly, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing one of those myself because they look sort of like you have something odd stuck under your belt.  Still, that's just a simple section cut out of a hollowed cylinder. Taper it a bit if you want to. Texture it, attach it to your stomach or hips, and position it as best you can.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3229 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.