How do I use a repeating texture in Photoshop for UV maps?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2850 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recently I purchased a full perm object that includes the AO maps and UV maps.

I'd like to paint repeating/tiling textures on UV maps similar to how SL and Blender handles them when covering the meshes including scaling options, but I have no idea how. I tried using the clone tool, but the scaling is too large and it leaves behind seams.

Any advice?

Make a new texture with the scale you want your pattern. Not all graphics programs will do this (my version of Corel does not so I use a VERY old version of PhotoImpact when I need to do this (not often now that I am working in Cycles mode in Blender).  Place that texture on top of the AO map and use "multiply" to merge the two together leaving the shadows on the map.

Obviously your pattern texture needs to be the same size as your AO map OR at least big enough for the area you want to fill with the pattern (like a pillow perhaps when there are other parts of the item on the same AO map.

You don't say what graphics program you use, so that would be helpful and maybe someone that uses that same program will know the steps to make a texture with different scaling from your smaller graphics.

Sorry missed that in the title. So hopefully there is an easy way in Photoshop. Will leave this here for those that might not be using that program.

The OTHER option would be to find some very large graphic patterns and resize those down to the size you need OR of course make your own textures.

Good luck.

PhotoImpact X3 does a nice job of making fine textures from larger ones (and has a pattern making mode formerly used for website backgrounds). It works up to Win 10 and should be very cheap if you can find a copy as it is really old LOL.  I am guessing Photoshop will do this somehow but I have never used that program.

• Like 1

In photoshop, i would use patterns

First to make the pattern, i would make some tiles or whatever you want on your texture and would make careful to make it seamless, meaning you can repeat the same texture from each side without a difference on the borders. 

with tiles, its not a big deal to make it seamless. Otherwise there are some free add ons you can find on the web that will help you to make it seamless within pshop.

Then i would select the whole seamless texture and go in edit menu > create pattern.

Give it a name.

Then on your uv map, make a selection of each part and create a layer with each of them (fill with white, or just duplicate the selection from the map)

For each layer then u just have to go in the fx menu and go in pattern and then apply your pattern. you can play with the scale of the pattern in order to make it bigger or smaller, and also do not hesitate to try several blending modes as soft light, mulitply or any other, bec if you have a color on the layer for example, results may be different according to it, and you just have to find the one that you prefer.

Make sure to use the same pattern scale on front and back part of the clothe (if its a clothe)

you can check this inworld applying your texture as local texture (in edit mode, texture tab, click the texture square and check local, then add , select ur texture on your harddrive, says ok, and then cllick the texture in the list. Everytime you will make a change on the pattern scale or setting in your pshop, save it under the same name and it will change it inworld too, so you can have an idea where you must adjust or fix.

of course it wont be perfect on the edges, bec its pretty hard job to make no difference on edges within pshop. Blender makes it easier. That said, its possible to do it in pshop (i do) but its hours of works and a lot of bypass way to fig out.

Do not forget to copy your ao map and to put it at the top of the layers stack in multiply mode in order to keep the shadows like it has been baked in blender. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2850 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.