How can I find a missing object

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1041 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I bought this dolphin prim, which is no copy, so when i rezz it, it disappears from my inventory. Anyway, today I rezzed it, but I can't  find it! So now I don't have it at all. I rezzed it on my own land too. I've looked from every angle I can think of. I even changed the view to wireframe. I relogged to see if it would to go my lost and found. Had a friend search for it too, with no luck.

Any suggestions on how to find it i?

Depending on how large your plot is it can be easy or very difficult to find lost items that were rezzed.  A way i've had pretty good success it to stand in the center of your land and set your draw distance to equal at least half the distance that your plot of land is.  Slowly spin your view around (either you by turning your avatar around of simply using the camera orbit).  Look fo the object.  Then fly straight up about 10 meters and do it again.....keep flying up and spinning until you reach 4096 meters (the highest any prim can be raised).  It can get tedious but I've found many of those mysteriously disappearing items/prims that way.  Just for information, most of the time I find them closer to the 4096 meter hieght (but only by a little bit....they could be anywhere)......maybe start at 4096 and fly down.

Rolig Loon (I think) has a "tool" to help with searching for lost prims and items..........hopefully she'll be along soon.

Editing to say to Jacki that I was wanting to respond to Kerri........I didn't back up far enough.

In addition to the suggestions already offered, here are a few more, no particular order:

1.  Try turning off land rendering (ctrl-shift-9), in case the object is under ground.

2.  Turn on Hide Selected, and select other objects that are around, in case it ended up inside any of them.

3.  Check the contents of other nearby objects, in case you inadvertently packed the object into any of them.

4.  If it ended up on someone else's land, it'll most likely get returned to you, sooner or later.  Check your Lost & Found folder.

5.  Check your Trash folder, in case you inadvertently deleted it a split second after you rezzed it.  We've all done that before (or at least I have).

6.  Make sure you're not wearing it.  If the item is small, and it ended up inside your avatar's body, or if it's just offset from the avatar by a good distance, you could easily be walking around with it and not realize it.

7.  Keep your mini map open, and fly around to all the other parcels in the sim,  If you see that telltale blue dot appear, you know you've got an object there.  You won't know the altitude, but at least you'll be able to find the XY location.  Once you're there, start on the ground and fly up until you find it.

8.  If all else fails, contact the seller, explain the situation, and see if they'll issue a replacement.  Some will, some won't.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Hi Kerri,

Firestorm allows you to search for nearby objects by name or owner. It will throw up a li'l red arrow in your view pointing to the object, which will vanish when you reach it,. It works just like the red map search arrows do. I don't remember exactly which menu it's in, but I used it this morning. It's very handy.

Adding to the other excellent suggestions:

If the object is scripted, you can turn on beacons for scripted items, and you'll see its location as you get closer to it.

You can use the parcel 's About land > Objects tab to find it by name, no matter where it is on the parcel, and select that item and return it. It will then end up in your Lost and Found.

• Like 1

• 9 years later...

I'm not one to bump a ten-year-old necro thread but I have to thank Ceera. I just rezzed an item that promptly repositioned itself inside the hull of my yacht. Impossible to find. 

The tip to use the Firestorm item location ability was a god-send. It even let me return the item from it's results page.

Brava, Ceera!

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1041 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.