How about being able to change the names of items that are not copy, transfer?

Yuletide

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2715 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am increasingly frustrated at wanting to rename things in my inventory especially when I have copied  them extensively like my mesh body that are no mod.  When I search there is noeasy way to differeniate my normal body from the one with  smaller breasts for instance.  I can understand there would be issues with items that are transfer and copy of renaming and selling something as  if it were your own  But there is not the danger of that with other combinations I don't think  So in all other cases it would be great if the name of the item could be changed.  And only the name of course on the no mod item.  Though  I don't  know if that would create other issues not really a creator.

You're asking for a non-trivial change to the permissions system.  It's not ever likely to happen.  When an item is no mod, it is entirely no mod.  You can't pick and choose which features you're going to allow the next owner to modify. 

As one example of the kind of madness that would be let loose if people could rename no mod items .... Scripts commonly refer to objects that are meant to rezzed or altered in any way by looking for the specific name their creator gave them. For example, you might have a hat named "Glorious Chapeau".  Your color changing HUD might send a message says:

llRegionSay(hat_channel,"Glorious Chapeau ~ Ribbon ~ Red");

That will only make sense to a script in the hat that is listening for a message containing its own name. If you have changed the name, nothing will work.  That sort of example is quite common.  Scripters count on the permissions system to keep users from breaking systems.

The easiest thing to do is to put the copy of the body that you set up for a specific outfit or item in the same folder of the outfit or items you want to wear it with.  That's what I do.  If the same set up works for a few outfits, you can put a copy in each folder.  No need to have a lot of subfolders in  your body folder that way.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2715 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.