Hacked prim shapes

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2742 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

wherorangi wrote:

ooo!

i will have a play with that

Yes it's fun. And something that allows you to make this from a single prim and a library texture, can't be completely useless either:

Really wish I knew a bit more about it though. It's all trial and error.

Callum Meriman wrote:

If you take that to a sandbox and apply materials what's it's LI?  :matte-motes-evil-invert:

In the same ballpark as a twisted torus. If I remember correctly, that one was about 200 with prim physics shape. But only 1.1 as convex hull and I don't think a detailed physics shape would make much sense for it anyway ;)

wherorangi wrote:

i am not really understanding this

can you give me a hint about what values work for PRIM_TYPE other than 0..7 please ?

You can't set them with scripts. They are a little bit like megaprims in that they are hacks never approved by Linden Lab. LL never blocked them though so you can still create them with third party viewers. Firestorm has 14 different alternative prim shapes. Singularity has some of them but I don't think it has all of them. You can view the shapes in any viewer but the moment you try to change the tortue in the SL viewer, the prim snaps to one of the official shapes.

mikka Luik wrote:

Now I am tempted to resurrect a few viewers from the past to see what they could produce.

No need to look back to older viewers for that. These prim shapes are still available in Firestorm, they're listed in the prim shape menu below sculpts:

The "Circle2->" prims are really crazy looking (the first picture I posted here was a twisted version of one of them), the others look more or less like regular prims to start with but with very different torturing options. Most of the time you end up with lots of problems with flickering from overlapping tris and normals facing the wrong way but not always and you can get those problems with heavily tortured regular prims too. The plate I showed a picture of for example. You can make something very similar shape with a regular prim of course but there'll always be some kind of distortion at the center. With an alternative prim, you can adjust the shape around the center very precisely.

Alternative prims can provide a wide variety of twisted ribbon shapes, here's a random example:

And how about this little trio - these look like shapes somebody could use:

These two look like perfectly ordinary prims at first glance. But try to get a perfectly even triangular or sloping square hollow in a regular half-cylinder.

I have to admit I'm quite surprised if nobody here is familiar with these prims. I heard quite a lot about them when I started as a builder and I thought this was all old news for veteran builders.

Edit:

Disclaimer: No prims were harmed during these demonstrations. Prims are incredibly flexible and quick to adapt to any new shape they are given. As long as they are properly sedated during the actual operation, they suffer no significant trauma.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2742 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.