Grabbing textures from my house (update)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

FYI, I would never steal another's intellectual property. I would also never ask for advice on how to steal. I am very new here (have only owned a house for three days) and obviously the use of the word "grabbing" was not intended in any way to mean I wanted advice on how to steal something. It never occured to me that taking the texture would be stealing because this is my first experience with anything even remotely resembling Second Life. Thanks to those who offered a possible solution to my issue.

Not unless you have a full perm copy of that texture in your inventory.  You can, of course, take an illegal copy in any number of ways, but no responsible person here will tell you how to do that.

The easiest solution is to rez a new copy of the house.  We've all had to do that at some time or other.  It's not as hard as it sounds. 

First, rez two small cube prims. Color them red and give them some glow and fullbright so they are garish and hard to miss.  Put them at opposite corners of your house, as if they were cornerstones.  Then delete your house, but none of the things in it.  Rez a new house and use your edit tools to move it gently until its corners line up perfectly with your garish red market prims. Then delete the prims. The whole operation should take less than a minute. If you've been careful, your furnishings should all sit exactly the way they used to.  If you've been less careful, you can either select the house again and make a few itty bitty tweaks or you can move the furnishings individually.

Callum Meriman wrote:

Rolig Loon wrote:

no responsible person here will tell you how to do that

Question becomes, is advising that the Lab condone texture lifting in LSL responsible?

1 line of script to get the UUID and 1 line of script to add it back - using official Linden Lab sanctioned scripting.

Definitely not. And you can only use LSL to get the UUID of a texture on an object if you already have the full perm texture in the object's inventory.  If you look for
llGetTexture
or related LSL functions in the wiki, you will find that they all say something like

is returned when the
does not have
to the object and the texture is not in the prim's inventory.

• Like 1

Also: If you have a  third party viewer such as FIrestorm, you can just click on your house and go to the object tab of edit and click the C for copy on the rotation and position fields. Then delete the house, rez  the new copy,and click the P for Paste by the rotation and position fields. The house will pop into place. 

Four clicks,,takes about one minute

LadyEllenT wrote:

FYI, I would never steal another's intellectual property. I would also never ask for advice on how to steal. [ ... ]

I never thought for a second that you would. I only mentioned that possibility in passing because it does occur to some people. I was hoping to discourage anyone from suggesting how to do it.

Rolig Loon wrote:

Callum Meriman wrote:

Rolig Loon wrote:

no responsible person here will tell you how to do that

Question becomes, is advising that the Lab condone texture lifting in LSL responsible?

1 line of script to get the UUID and 1 line of script to add it back - using official Linden Lab sanctioned scripting.

Definitely not. And you can only use LSL to get the UUID of a texture on an object if you already have the full perm texture in the object's inventory.  If you look for
llGetTexture
or related LSL functions in the wiki, you will find that they all say something like

is returned when the
does not have
to the object and the texture is not in the prim's inventory.

Ahha, goes to show I'be only ever tried it with my textures then. Thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding

I recall back to the time Torley did a show about Ctrl-Alt-Shift-T and we all cried out "Nuuuuuu!"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.