Exporting sculpt maps from Wings3d

semalina

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2688 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi. I've just installed Wings3d which needs a plugin to export .bmp sculpt maps. If I go to the Wings3D page from http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Sculpted_Prims:_3d_Software_Guide, the links to the necessary plugin are 403 forbidden, but I found another SL wiki page that does contain a working link as an afterthought on this page: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Wings_3D_Exporter.

The zip file contains two files: wpc_sculpty.beam and wpc_sculpty.erl. The .beam file installed in Wings3d okay and creates a Second Life .bmp option in the save menu, but I don't know what to do with the .erl file. Every attempt to save a .bmp sculpt map returns an error: "Unsupported mesh size". Anyone have any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Wings 3D's sculpt map exporter only works with 32x32 or 64x64 grids with the vertices numbered in a very specific order. There used to be ready made templates but I don't think they are available anymore.

If you know how to launch Blender, you can easily make one yourself:

• Launch Blender
  • In the Create tab to the left, select "Grid"
  • In the "Add Grid" options that turn up, set both X Subdivisions and Y Subdivisions to 32 (64 is pointless since those extra vertices will be omitted from the end result anyway)
  • In the Edit menu, Export as Wavefront (obj)

Launch Wings 3D, import the obj. file you created and start moving the vertices around. But do not under any circumstance add or remove vertices, that will break the exporter.

You should also be aware that like other dodgy sculpt creator tools, such as Rokuro, Wings 3D creates oversampled maps with 128x128 pixel resolution. You really should scale them down to 64x64 in an image editor before uploading to SL; oversampled scupt maps are horrendously laggy and often fail to load.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2688 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.