Editing Textures...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2802 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi guys!

Can someone please give me some advice.. I have recently started doing mesh clothing, However I have searched high and low for decent textures.. but i cant find anything that really works for me..

Is there a way to take a plain color texture and make it look silky? I have searched everywhere for flat silks or satins but everything is wrinkled :( using wrinked on a mesh dress ends up looking strange! Am i missing something or not looking in the right places??

Some of the most amazing stores in SL (i.e Blueberry, Underground etc) have awesome textures! but you i cant seem to find anything that looks even nearly as good as them.

Thankyou in advance for any help! :)

Cloth simulation lives from folds and wrinkles. Especially silk lives from variance in reflectance, which is best achieved with folds and wrinkles.

When you see good looking cloth textures, it's because of the creators are very good at creating them. They put a lot of time and effort to paint each texture individually for each model. They paint folds and wrinkles where they make sense on the clothes, bake various maps, like ambient occlusion, normals, and specular highlights. to get a texture base.

If it would be that easy, to just apply a random texture, taken from somewhere, everybody would make good looking clothes right from the beginning.

Thankyou for your reply! I already knew that they were hand made textures, But i couldnt understand why there were no Flat Textures that looked as good..

I have started making my own textures (well in the process of learning how!) I am trying to figure out how to take a texture and give it a latex effect but there is a lack of PSP tutorials for this kind of thing. :/

Latex requires specular highlights in the first place. These highlights used to be baked onto the model in a 3d modeling program such as Blender, by setting up some lights, and baking them to a texture. Can be finicky though.

Personally I'm a huge fan of Materials, which makes it not even easier to achieve various surface characteristics, it also looks more natural and lively in my opinion. Indeed, it requires Advanced Lighting Model to be turned on in the SL viewer.

Not exactly latex but related:
https://i.gyazo.com/91ac588f82ce03a5d45773361d6c0968.mp4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2802 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.