Deed all objects to a single group

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2835 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello again! My previous question was answered HERE and we followed the instructs, but we've run into a new problem.

All of the items belong to my boss rather than the island or the group that the island has been deeded too. Is there any way to deed all objects that exist on the island to a single group?

Thank you for your help and time!

I hope not.

Are you sure you mean deed items to a group, not just set them to group?

Deeding is a really big deal, can only be done for transfer-permitted objects, causes next-owner permissions to apply, and breaks many scripts. I really hope you don't need this to happen.

Setting to group, on the other hand, can be done to all the objects in a selection simultaneously, so that's a pretty good start on getting a whole region full of objects set to the same group.

Either way, of course, it needs to be done by the object owner (or maybe by somebody with extreme permissions on the owner's objects, I'm not sure).

• Like 1

Honestly, I'm not sure. It seems like the only way to change who can edit the objects so far is by going in and manually changing each and every item.

And I am talking a whole island of items. 6 buildings with furniture, three separate meeting places, and so many signs. We need the whole island to be changed rather than just one section or area.

I think maybe the problem of needing to do a thing to many, many objects is kind of secondary to figuring out what even makes sense to do to them. And that sorta depends on what changes somebody other than the current owner is supposed to be able to make.

Ignoring how much work it would be, it's possible to set an object to group, then share it with group, and then anybody in the group will be able to move it around, and if it's transferable, Take it. Obviously that only makes sense if the group is very small and very trusted.

It's also possible for the owner to allow one or more specific individuals to edit that owner's objects. That allows more extensive object modification (not including changing of links), but it does so for every object owned by that account, not limitable to  a single region. I'm not sure, but I think this also excludes being able to transfer items.

Finally, it's possible to set items for sale "Original" and then the buyer will obtain that rezzed-in-place instance of the item, not a copy that goes to the buyer's inventory. That's usually how regions transfer what content they can to new owners, but there's no way to specify a buyer, so that intended buyer needs to be on hand, buying up the originals as they're set for sale, lest somebody else swoop in. It is also crucially important that all objects and their contents (scripts, etc.) be prepared with appropriate next-owner permissions or they'll become dead to further change/copy/transfer immediately upon transfer. (This is also one of the reasons Deeding to Group is so very dangerous.)

Thing is, you mentioned furniture, which I'm guessing is purchased from a third party and hence most likely copy / no-transfer. That means the current owner will always be the owner of those items -- that's simply the terms under which they were purchased.

I realize none of this is very encouraging. Maybe somebody else can suggest some other approach.

You are right, it's a little daunting to even think about, but I really appreciate all the thoughts and help that you have offered. We will see what will work best for us and if there isn't any other way, we will get started on one of your suggestions. 

Thank you, again!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2835 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.