Can you use a texture changing HUD to change the hair texture on Prim Hair?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3277 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi All :)

I hope this is the right forum to post this in :/

I bought some full Perm Hair that I wanted to play around with as im new to creating on SL... and to hopefully put some of my own hair textures on it.

What I wanted to know is that....is it even possible to make a HUD that changes textures to work with changing the textures on the hair making them a different hair colour?

I have a script to change textures but it said for mesh clothing....would that work?

I noticed that the hair was all linked together....would I need to unlink to upload each texture individually to the prims?

After doing all that and then making the HUD will the script work for non mesh hair to change the textures of it?

Thank you in advance 

• It's impossible to know whether your script will work without seeing the script - there's a few ways to change linkset textures. In order to change prim hair the script will need to work between multiple faces and multiple links.
  • You don't need to unlink to re-texture, you can use Edit Linked Parts within the Edit tool.
  • A correctly-scripted HUD can definitely control non-mesh (prim) hair.

Thank you for answering this!

I found what you said about editing the hair without having to unlink it....that helps hugely as I was trying to get my head around doing each peice unlinked -_- lol

This is the script that I have

It said this is the Main one:

integer ch=10020555;//Channel number, must be the same in the slave script. Change in a unique number to prevent silly things happening around you.

{
state_entry()
{
llListen(ch,"",NULL_KEY,"");
}

listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string msg)
{
if (llGetOwner() == llGetOwnerKey(id))
{
llSetTexture(llGetSubString(msg,0,-1),ALL_SIDES);
}
}
}

This is the Slave script:

integer ch=10020555; // Channel number, must be the same in the main script. Change in a unique number to prevent silly things happening around you.

default{

touch_start(integer total_number)
{
llSay(ch,"7977a1d9-835e-400c-9ce3-061522dfafd1"); //Paste the UUID of the texture between the ""

}

}

I was also told that this might help https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Full-Perm-Hair-HUD-KIT/6483437

The second (slave? tho it's not really a slave at all since it kicks-off the other) script might work but it seems a bit cludgy. It will only let you apply a single texture (or sprited texture-map) - probably not ideal for you use.

The first will not - it only changes the texture on the root prim (yellow when selected) - and it will change every side of that prim to the texture specified by the slave. It won't affect linked (child - blue when selected) prims.

IPOISONIVYI wrote:

Would this be a better option to use? > 

Without the script it hits below my interest line, sorry. This tends to be where my skills lie, rather than reviewing products. Perhaps unfortunately, I also don't teach. Other users may be able to help.

You can select groups of prims by left-clicking and dragging a 'box' around the objects you want to link. Be careful here though, it's easy to capture distant objects, scenary, or objects that don't belong to you (this last one can be offset by setting select only my objects to TRUE from Build > Options menu).

Note that the link order will change when you unlink - you might end up with a different root. The quick rule of thumb there is to shift+click the intended root prim last, prior to linking.

Best of luck!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3277 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.